frank harris

Post information here about individual army numbers or post a query about an individual and his army number.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

frank harris

Postby pauldale » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:01 pm

Am looking for any details on a frank harris who was with the worcestor regiment
1/7th battalion
born in manchester
enlisted in birmingham
residence in birmingham
died 25/4/1917
killed in action in flanders?
rank private
regimental number 203728
buried at common wealth war grave thiepval

would appreciate any help or knowledge that could be passed on
pauldale

Re: frank harris

Postby gilbo139 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:03 pm

Paul, Sorry for delay...with my limited access to records I have found it difficult to find much reference to Frank Powell Harris anywhere, however when you say he is buried at Thiepval, although there are some burials there ,he is actually recorded on the memorial there, Pier and face 5, A and 6c. Thiepval as you probably know is near Albert on The Somme.
It appears from diaries that some members the 1/7th Worcesters were involved in the battle for Gillemont Farm during the night of April 24th with most of the battalion also involved in the capture of Gillemont Farm on the 25th April. The same day the Battalion was involved in beating off a severe counter attack. The 1/7th suffered many casualties, Frank Harris being one. The action itself was part of the advance towards The Hindenburg Line. Gillemont Farm is near Epehy and not to be confused with Guillemont Farm on The Somme itself..
His Medal Index Card shows him as being in the 1st 8th worcesters and also originally having the number 20763, however on this site he is recorded as 1/7th....hope this is of some use....Colin
gilbo139

Re: frank harris

Postby pauldale » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:09 pm

any ideas where i can get anymore inormation from,i seem to be hitting brick walls at every turn?
thank you for the information you have provided me with though
pauldale

Return to Regimental Numbers 1881 to 1920