Private Frank Rastall 241819 (also 5161)

Post information here about individual army numbers or post a query about an individual and his army number.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Private Frank Rastall 241819 (also 5161)

Postby Williamson » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:34 pm

I am researching Private Frank Rastall who is listed on Broadway's War Memorial. Frank was born and lived in Broadway, Worcestershire, the youngest son of a Broadway family.

Frank enlisted with the 1/8th Battalion in Evesham and served with the 1/8th Battalion of the Worcesters. I have a copy of his medal card but it does not have any other information on it other than he received the Victory and British Medals.

Frank died of his wounds on 19 Oct 1918, presumably he was wounded during the battles of the Final Advances in Picardy.

Why would Frank have 2 regimental numbers and how can I find out when he enlisted?

Any help/advice gratefully received.

Many thanks.
Broadway Remembers - Researching the men listed on Broadway's War Memorial who died in the Great War
Williamson

Re: Private Frank Rastall 241819 (also 5161)

Postby John(txic) » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:23 am

Williamson,

Whilst waiting for an expert to come along, I'll start with my humble offerings.

Basically, the men of the Territorial battalions of the British Army were all given new numbers in 1917; why? I'm sure someone will come along to explain. However, Pte Joseph Morris of the 1/7th appears twice on Dudley's WM because of this!

If you fancy a bit of further reading, this site may be of interest: BING or google for "armyservicenumbers" (Sorry about that - doesn't seem to like the original Link posted)
John(txic)

Return to Regimental Numbers 1881 to 1920