1st/8th Bn - date of enlistment

Post information here about individual army numbers or post a query about an individual and his army number.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

1st/8th Bn - date of enlistment

Postby Burnett » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:24 pm

Hello

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

I'm trying to determine the date of enlistment for Private Richard Henry MATTHEWS of the 1st/8th Bn. Worcestershire Regiment, who was KIA on 23 Oct 1918. His regimental number was 66012. This is the only number that appears on his WW1 medal index card. A search of Silver War Badge records reveals several men from this battalion with numbers in the 66*** series but there does not seem to be any consistency in their given dates of enlistment. For example: Gilbert George WYATT, No.66038, enlisted 22 Jun 1918 but Albert Charles PROBERT, No.66096 - later than WYATT's - enlisted before him on 2 Mar 1916. There was Alfred John SMITH, No.66017, very close to my soldiers number, who enlisted on 3 Nov 1916. Can anyone shed any light on this and tell me when Pte MATTHEWS enlisted?

The other thing that puzzles me is that the 'UK Soldiers Died' database shows that he enlisted at Penzance - not exactly close to Worcestershire!

Any help will be much appreciated.

Bill
Burnett

Return to Regimental Numbers 1881 to 1920