Service history James Turrell 8728

Post information here about individual army numbers or post a query about an individual and his army number.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Service history James Turrell 8728

Postby Rita » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:32 pm

Do you know the service history of my Grandfather James R Turrell 8728. I donot know what the R stands for and I do not have a photograph of him. Many thanks.
Rita

Re: Service history James Turrell 8728

Postby scully » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:40 pm

Hi Rita,

Private James Turrell (8728) served with the 3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment. He was killed in action on the 1st June 1916. He was killed in action at Vimy Ridge (North of Arras).
The fighting on the Vimy Ridge from April 26th to the 1st of June 1916 had cost the 3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment over three hundred of all ranks, including eleven officers.

On the night of the 1st of June 1916, after a day of heavy shelling (which cost the Battalion 7 killed, 2 officers ?. F. A. Reading and A. R. ? and 9 men wounded), the 3rd Worcestershire were relieved by the 6th Seaforth Highlanders, and marched back down the slope and through Neuville St. Vaast to billets at Ecoivres.

His grave is at ECOIVRES MILITARY CEMETERY, MONT-ST. ELOI, FRANCE (grave number III. A. 6.).

He was married to Mrs E. J. Turrell, and their home address was 80 Squires Street, Liverpool.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Return to Regimental Numbers 1881 to 1920