Lance Corporal 16391 James Henry Clarke.

Post information here about individual army numbers or post a query about an individual and his army number.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Lance Corporal 16391 James Henry Clarke.

Postby Karl » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:39 am

I am trying to find information on my great uncle Lance Corporal James Henry Clarke number 16391
4th Batallion, 88th Brigade, 29th Division killed in action Friday August 6th 1915 in the Gallipoli Campaign
he is commemorated on the Helles memorial in Turkey.
If anyone can give me more information like where he enlisted etc i would really appreciate it. James came from Cradley
in what was then Staffordshire but is now West Midlands.
Karl

Re: Lance Corporal 16391 James Henry Clarke.

Postby scully » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:46 pm

Hi,

Killed in action during the action detailed below:
At 4 a.m. on the 6th August 1915 the 4th Worcesters moved forward from the beach. Midday passed amid heat and buzzing flies. At 2.20 p.m. the British heavy artillery opened fire. Instantly the Turkish guns replied.The enemy was expecting attack, and a shower of shrapnel and high explosive shells burst all along the British trenches. The troops crouched low, and escaped heavy losses. At 3.15 p.m. the British machine-gun batteries added their stammer to the crash of the shells, and five minutes later the field guns joined in the chorus. For half-an-hour the storm raged. Then at 3.50 p.m. the officers' whistles sounded; the platoons scrambled over the parapets and advanced to the attack. The Battalion went forward in four waves. As the successive waves topped the rise and came in full view of the enemy they were struck from both flanks by a hail of machine-gun bullets. Quickening their pace the platoons rushed on towards their goal, but under that deadly fire the ranks withered away. The remnant dashed onwards, charged the trenches and in many cases lept in. The enemy's machine-guns raked all the ground, and soon none remained outside the trench but dead or disabled men. Inside the trench the survivors closed with the enemy and fought hand to hand until overpowered by numbers. In few cases was quarter either asked or given. At one point about thirty of the Worcestershire forced their way into the trench and found themselves isolated in the midst of the enemy. Swiftly erecting barricades on both flanks, they organised a little stronghold for defence. For three hours they held their ground, fighting desperately against attacks from every direction. Their bombs were soon exhausted, but their musketry kept the surrounding enemy at bay until night came on. By that time twenty of the little party had fallen.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Return to Regimental Numbers 1881 to 1920