William Rawlinson

Post information here about individual army numbers or post a query about an individual and his army number.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

William Rawlinson

Postby Rawlinson » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:37 am

My great-grandfather, William Harry Rawlinson, was in the Worcestershire regiment during WW1. The problem I am having is that there are two William Rawlinson's in the regiment at that time and I cannot determine which one he is. The number is either 10703 (private 4th&10th Batallions)or 14289 (private 9th Batallion). He was likely to be living in Momouth at the time of the war. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-James
Rawlinson

Postby LarsA » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:11 pm

Have you checked ancestry.co.uk for William Rawlinson? Perhaps pension records have survived for at least one of the Williams you need checking. I did a quick check for the two regimental numbers but came up blank. If they changed numbers (would be seen on their medal index cards) that might be an explanation.

/Lars
LarsA

Medal cards - William Rawlinson

Postby Rawlinson » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:25 pm

Hi Lars
Thanks for checking the numbers, I think the pension records were probably destroyed in WW2. I have the medal cards for each of the numbers. I didn't think that it could be the same person, but the roll and page numbers for the victory medal are the same so I guess that is conclusive, but why would his number have changed?

I'm interested in finding out more about his experiences. My father and I visited Kew and copied the relevant entries in the medal rolls. it appears that he disembarked for Gallipoli on 10/9/1915 ('2b' typed next to the date on the rolls for the Star medal, regtl no: 10703). The two entries in the victory medal rolls show that with number 10703 he was with the 4th and 10th (a cross marked next to the 4th under theatres of war in which served'). With 14289 he was with the 9th ('ORS' noted under 'theatres of war in which served'?)

Thanks so much for your help, please let me know if you can shed light on what the annotations mean and point us in the right direction.

Best Regards
James
Rawlinson

Postby LarsA » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:46 pm

SOrry, but I think I have mislead you without meaning too. Two medal cards with the same medals almost certainly means two separate men. What I meant was that sometimes you dont get a hit on ancestry as the first number is not shown, but a later one with for instance the labour corps is.

Hope you will have success in your searches. Have you tried the regimental archives?

Kind regards
/Lars
LarsA

medal cards

Postby Rawlinson » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:08 pm

Hi Lars,
I thought it was unlikely that his number would have changed completely, we haven't tried regimental archives yet, how would I go about it? Thanks for your help.
James
Rawlinson

Postby LarsA » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:10 pm

You will find the link on the first page, link here, down on the right hand side just under the forum entry. They will ask for a donation, a well spent fiver in my mind. It's all voluntary work.

Good luck,
Lars

ERROR://www.worcestershireregiment.com/w ... nc/welcome
LarsA

William Rawlinson's regimental number was 10703

Postby Rawlinson » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:01 pm

Hi,
I have been able to establish this by looking at the absent voters list. The address matches records we have. Our task now is to try and establish what we can from the regimental number itself and the information from the medal rolls. On the absent voters list he is listed as being in the 10th Worcestershires which is corroborated by the medal rolls. He was also in the 4th. I understand that we can look at the hstory of those batallions, but wonder if there i anything we can tell from his regimental number itself with regard to the circumstaces and location of his enlistment?

Best Regards
James
Rawlinson

Return to Regimental Numbers 1881 to 1920