Medal Cards, SWB & More Look ups offered.

This new section of the forum is for any one with medal information or requesting information about medals.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Medal Cards, SWB & More Look ups offered.

Postby johnjarratt » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:01 am

Hello to all, as ancestry now allows me to look at most of the Medal index cards available, I thought i would offer my services(Free of Charge), that if you don't have access to this, then e-mail me as much detail as you can about the person you are searching for and your e-mail address and i will do my best to send you a copy of their card.

I work during the day, so i would pick up your e-mails of an evening, so don't panic if i don't send a response straight back.

My email is: john@lostmedals.co.uk

Thanks toall who have helped me in researching my Grandfather in the past.

John.
Last edited by johnjarratt on Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pte Thomas W Jarratt 4th Btn.
johnjarratt

Medal Index Cards, Look ups offered.

Postby Mike Jones » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:52 am

Hello John,
Thank you for your kind offer, I shall watch to see how many takers you have. Are you able to help people with some of the abbreviations that appear on the cards? It may be better if you edit your title to the one I have used.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby johnjarratt » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:04 pm

(Mike,I have taken your advice.)

Yes, if anybody would like help with abbreviations or an explanation of the information contained on the cards. Then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Cheers John.
johnjarratt

RE Index Cards, Look ups offered.

Postby David Green » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:17 pm

Hi John,

Very kind of you to offer, and I would like to take you up on it! I had photocopies for both grandfathers, but lost ALL of my genealogical research in a house fire.

Louis, the webmaster, has given me some information on my maternal grandfather, Percy Victor Allen. He was in the 2nd Worcestershire Reg't. Apparently he had two army numbers - initially it was 2386, later changed to 240467. He was awarded the 1915 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal, which my mother has, but apparently also received another one which I had never heard of: the Silver War Badge. He is on the the Silver War Badge List - reference number LA/1753.

Secondly, my paternal grandfather. His real name was Charles John Green, but my Dad says he signed up twice, once under his real name (and his parents got him out as he was underage) then he apparently re-enlisted under the name Charles Patrick O'Riley.
It seems the Medal Roll for the British War Medal and Allied Victory Medal at the PRO (file WO329/1378) has him as formerly Private 9723 in the 1st Battalion Norfolk Regiment. (I was told this number suggests that he was pre-War Regular soldier so maybe the signing up twice story isn't true....).
Subsequently, he transferred to the Essex Reg't., and his number became Reg’t. # 41951, Scout Section, 1st Battalion. I don't know what medals he received. Apparently he was discharged in 1924. He subsequently disappeared in 1929, still suffering from complications of shell shock.

If you could send me copies of their cards when you have an opportunity I'd be most grateful. Thank you.

kind regards,
David Green
Grandson of Cpl. Percy Victor Allen, 240467, 8th Worcestershire Reg't.
David Green

Thank you John

Postby David Green » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:25 am

Sorry for the lateness of my reply. I was sure I had e-mailed you at your personal email address. Thank you very much for sending me the jpegs of the medal cards for my grandfathers (240467 Cpl. Percy Victor Allen, 8th Worcs., & 41951 Charles Patrick O'Riley, 1st Batallion Essex Reg't. (though his real name was Charles John Green).
David Green
A Proud Grandson
Grandson of Cpl. Percy Victor Allen, 240467, 8th Worcestershire Reg't.
David Green

Re: Index Cards, Look ups offered.

Postby johnjarratt » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:21 am

Following on from my first post.

Ancestry, now allows me to look up most Pre WW2 Army & Navy medal rolls going back to Waterloo.

*****Silver War Badge Rolls now Available*****************

So if you don't have access to this, then just let me know.

Cheers
John
johnjarratt

Return to Medal Enquires