Private A. Simmonds

This new section of the forum is for any one with medal information or requesting information about medals.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Private A. Simmonds

Postby MANDY » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:42 pm

Hi,

I would appriciate any help, with how I can proceed to uncover more information for the following:

Amongst my late grandmothers possessions was a 1914 British War medal.

With the following on the reverse:

pte. A. Simmonds
2/Worc R

As this is not our family name, I am under the assumption it may have been a step-brother (but not sure).

In anycase, I would love to start to research all I can about A. Simmonds (Ido not even have a christian name), and hopefully return this medal to the rightfull relatives.

So please If you could help, it would make my day,

Regards
Mandy
MANDY

Re: Private A. Simmonds

Postby scully » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:45 pm

Hi Mandy,

Private A. Simmonds was in fact Private Harry Simmonds or Simmons (his surname was spelt either way on his army papers) he served with the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment. His service number is in fact 9384 (you quoted it wrongly as 8384). Although his first intial is "A" his first name was referred to as Harry. He joined the 2nd Battalion in France on the 22nd August 1914 and he was reported missing and wounded in action at the Battle of Gheluvelt on the 31st October 1914 and he was later reported killed in action (you will find details of this battle on this website in the History Section under Gheluvelt).

Private Simmons initially joined the Worcestershire Regiment on the 15th August 1905 (at the age of 18 years 10 months old). Before joining the army his occupation was as a Boatman. He was born at Old Hill, Worcester and his mothers name was Matlida Simmonds. I believe his father had already died before WW1. On joining the Worcestershire Regiment he was first posted with the Depot battalion and on the 31st October 1905 was posted to the 3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment before moving again on the 21st November 1905 to the 4th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment. He then served with the 4th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment in Malta, Egypt, and India before returning back to the U.K. on the 28th December 1912. The dates of his travels are below:
Based in the U.K. from 15th August to 20th November 1905
Malta - 21st November 1905 to 7th May 1906
Egypt - 8th May 1906 to 8th June 1906
Malta - 9th June 1906 to 11th November 1908
India - 12th November 1908 to 27th December 1912
Back home in the U.K. - 28th December 1912

He then transferred to the Army Reserves.

At the out break of War on the 8th August 1914 he was called up and joined the 5th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment. He was then posted to the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment on the 21st August 1914.

He was not married but had 5 older brothers and 2 older sister - details below:
Brothers; William Henry (living at Elwell Street, Old Hill, Worcester), Thomas (living at 51 William Street West Bromwich), David (living at Hawkes Cottages, Hill Top, West Bromwich), Frederick (living by Prince of Wales, Princes End) and Joseph (living at Upper Russell Street, Wednesbury).
Sisters both married were; Mary Patience Cartwright (living at 2 House, 4 Court, New Road, Great Bridge, Tipton) and Alice Millership (living at 3 House, 4 Court, Providence Street, Tipton).

After the war his medals were sent to his older brother William Henry Simmonds in July 1919. He was awarded 3 medals - British War Medal, 1914 Star with Clasp and Victory Medal. It is possible they were shared with his brother and sisters.

Hope the above is of some help.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby MANDY » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:10 am

Good Morning Louis,

Many, many thanks for all of the above information.

I'm astounded at the amount of detailed information you kindly researched for me.

I have just read on the website regarding the battle of Gheluvelt, (such brave men) and I've found Pte Harry Simmons on the roll call.

I've printed off your findings to give to my Dad to read, who could not believe the details you managed to recover. For example all Harrys brothers and sisters.

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Best Regards
Mandy
MANDY

Postby allanp » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi Mandy

A bit more information for you.

I have found entries in the Worcester Herald & Bromsgrove & Droitwich Messenger

9th January 1915 edition
Wounded
9384 Pte A. Simmons - Reported from Base 26th November 1914

3rd July 1915 edition
Wounded & Missing
9384 Pte H. Simmons 2nd Batt

Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Return to Medal Enquires