Charles Price 1871-1953

This new section of the forum is for any one with medal information or requesting information about medals.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Charles Price 1871-1953

Postby skardi » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:39 am

Sergeant-Major Charles Ap-Rhys Price was a member of St.Stephen's Anglican Church in Saanichton,B.C.,Canada.He died Nov.16,1953 and is buried at St.Stephen's Cemetery.His obituary stated that he was awarded the VC while serving at Afghanistan, and the DCM while serving at Tel-el-Kebir and saw service at Khyber Pass. In 1953 his widow stated that Charles had joined the 29th.Worcester(shire) Regiment at age 17 or 18 (1888/89). As St.Stephen's is celebrating its 150th. Anniversary this year and we anticipate numerous visitors to the Cemetery could someone give me some background information on Charles Price and the medals he claimed to have won in combat? Skardi
skardi

Location: Victoria, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Re: Charles Price 1871-1953

Postby scully » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:42 am

Hi Skardi,

I had a look for a Charles Price with regards the Victoria Cross and can tell you there is no one of that name listed as receiving the V.C. I checked the full official V.C. list.

With regards the D.C.M. the only Serjeant Charles Price to have won the D.C.M. with the Worcestershire Regiment was in the 3rd Battalion and he won it for his actions at Thiepval (Somme, France) on the 7th July 1916 (London Gazette date 22nd Sept 1916). This Charles Price army number was 9845. However, I do not think this is your Charles Ap-Rhys Price.

I have checked for Charles Ap-Rhys Price (Sergeant Charles A. Price) in the London Gazette and there is no one of that name being awarded the V.C. or D.C.M.

It would appear the information you have been given is not correct.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Return to Medal Enquires