1st Batt Worc's Reg

This new section of the forum is for any one with medal information or requesting information about medals.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

1st Batt Worc's Reg

Postby pete130356 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:45 am

Just wondered if anyone can help me. In my collection i have a first world war trio to a Pte 11401 Thomas Griffiths of the 1st Worc's regt, who unfortunately died on the 13th March 1915 at the battle of Neuve Chapelle. When i purchased the trio you could tell that a bar had at some time been glued to the ribbon but had long since fallen off. Just recently i had thought of replacing the bar but i need to find out if he was indeed entitled to one. Help please. :?:
pete130356

Re: 1st Batt Worc's Reg

Postby corona » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:09 pm

His MIC (Medal Card) records his entitlement to the 1914 Star but no details on the award of the date clasp.
The clasp had to be applied for but I would expect it to be issued automatically to the next of kin in the case of a casualty.
Regards,
corona
corona

Postby pete130356 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks corona, i have in the past gone through the 1st Battalions records of their eary forays of the first world war and it seems that they where in the right places (if thats the right thing to say) for the award to the men of the 14 star and bar. I too have checked Thomas's MIC and couldn't find any mention of the award of a bar. As you say maybe it was an automatic award and sometimes it might have been overlooked on the MIC.
pete130356

Postby fishplanebeer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:40 pm

Hi,

My grandfather also served with the 1st Battalion, who were shipped out from the UK on 5th November 1914 and came under enemy fire (in the front line) by midnight on 22nd November, which is the cut-off date for the 'Mons Clasp' which I believe is what you are referring to. His MIC indicates the award of the clasp but I'm not sure if this was awarded automatically or had to be applied for.

The fact that there appears to have been a bar/clasp affixed to your trio suggest that this soldier was also entitled but it's not a guarantee as this may have ben done by a.n.other at some point in the past for some reason. I'm no expert on this award but it does seem odd that it's not mentioned on the MIC, which is the Army's own record for such awards.

Regards
Colin.
fishplanebeer

Postby fishplanebeer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi Again,

Just to clarify a bit more if this helps.

As your soldier was KIA in 1915 it is possible that the clasp wasn't put on his MIC as the award itself wasn't sanctioned until 1919, although as the MIC was the Army's only record for awards I'm still not sure how they would have known he was entitled to be issued with one after this date given the sheer number of personnel involved in the conflict.

You therefore have two possible scenarios, either he didn't come under enemy fire until after 22nd November 1914, possibly being held in reserve, so wasn't entitled. Or the Army simply didn't include this on his MIC as he was sadly no longer with us by the time the award was agreed.

His Army number is much later my my own grandafther's, who was in the regiment when war was declared, so both are possible as the 1914 star itself was not only issued to the orginal units in 1914 but also their reinforcements who could have been sent over by 22nd November but saw no action.

On balance I suspect he probably was entitled but as with all things to do with WW1 service histories there is always an element of doubt and supposition.

KInd Regards
Colin.
fishplanebeer

Return to Medal Enquires