Worcestershire Regiment Medals, All of them

This new section of the forum is for any one with medal information or requesting information about medals.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Worcestershire Regiment Medals, All of them

Postby Mike Jones » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:32 am

Hello,
and welcome to the newest section of the Forum, anything on Worcestershire Regiment Medals! Not just The Great War, it is any war, any Worcester medal. Are you looking for some lost or previously sold Medals? Put the details of what you are seeking on here, the No. 1* place for anything Worcester (*Except of course, the OFFICIAL Worcester Regiment Archives at Norton, link to them on the home page of this website). I do mean Worcester, any other medal enquiry will unfortunately be deleted. I dont think Louis Scully is going to let you sell Medals on here and I would agree with him on that! Just want to know more about the Medals you already have? Ask the experts (Of which I am definitely NOT one).
The bit I would like to know, please, concerns the 1914 Star, sometimes called the Mons Star. I have for some months been working with the Medal Rolls concerning the award for this Medal. To the three Battalions of the Worcesters that were entitled to this Medal, just under 4,000 were awarded. How many are still in existence? How many are still cherished and honoured in family hands? Please, if you have a 1914 Star can you list Name , Rank , Number and connection to the soldier. Since these Medals do have a value (Which I dont want Mentioned) dont put Locations in the posting. If you feel better about it, post the details direct to me at mjonesgfc@aol.com. I am open to any better way of listing them.
Regards Mike
Last edited by Mike Jones on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby beardie » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:37 pm

mike,
emailed some information on pte gummey, let me know if you receive it or not!
beardie
beardie

Postby LarsA » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:46 pm

I tried to find a way of giving some kind of help in return for the information you found for me. As I have a number of old catalogues from a few british dealer, I thought I'd look them through to give you the names on any surviving 14star-groups I have seen on the market, Have around 60 catalogues.

Unfortunately there were only three, but here goes:

DCM, 14 star trio, Colour Serjeant F E Lamb, (L/cp 3rd worcesters on trio) and plaque (KIA 1917 with the Nigeria regiment, West africa (buried Morogoro) DCM 16/1/15 at Hooge.

trio and clasp, Pte F Rodber, 3/Worcesters

trio, pte W J Pardoe 3/Worcs Regt

Sorry, that's all i found . If you like me to spread the word, just give me a mail about it.

Best regards,
Lars
LarsA

1914 Stars

Postby Mike Jones » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:50 am

Morning Lars,
your offer is much appreciated and I thank you for it.
I have noted the details you have sent and also ticked against the man's record that his medals still exist. So far I know of just under 200 sets. Only 5 sets are still in family hands. The Archive section have in excess of 100 sets locked away. They also have 6 of the 9 Victoria Crosses. I hope, soon, to have the exact number and names for the Stars. So, please if you see any more let me know. Especially the set for Pte. Richard Marsh 9078, my grandfather.
To save an extra posting on the Forum, can I say that I have replied to Steve (Beardie) about Pte. Gummery and I thank him for all the information and pictures he sent me.
Many Thanks Mike Jones
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

F.F. SMITH - MEDALS

Postby philrigger » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:29 pm

I am searching for the medals awarded to my grandfather during his two periods of service with the Worcs Regt. namely;

5663 Pte F.F. Smith

QSA with clasps;
Orange Free State, Transval, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902

-------

46855 WOII F.F. Smith

BWM 1914-1919
Victory Medal

Phil.
'We knew how to whinge but we kept it in the NAAFI bar'.
philrigger

Stand Alone Posting

Postby Mike Jones » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:59 am

Hello Phil,
I too am hoping for more information on my grandfather's medals. To bring your Grandfather's medals more attention on the Forum, please put them into "Their own heading" in this section. Leave this posting here but give him his own heading. Also put in a few extra details if you know them, for example, year of birth, where he was born. The extra information brings him out from the crowd.
Good Luck Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby windhunds » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:15 am

HI, JUST READ THAT YOU SAW A MONS STAR IN A CATERLOGUE FOR
trio, pte W J Pardoe 3/Worcs Regt . hope you dont mind, but could you tell me when they were offerd for sale as my friend family is pardoe and she still has randolph pardoes medals in the family with the death plaque. i belive w j pardoe was the brother and would love to track them down for the family.
worcester reg singer on the bandstand in the film atonement, known as the dunkirk singers.
also i run a military collectors shop in kidderminster
windhunds

10171 pte a turner

Postby windhunds » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:27 am

i just bought the victory, war medal and 1914-15 star in at the shop today for the above worcs man.these were fresh onto the market with no research. the friend i bought them off said the old man next door had no interest in them and as he was a collector of militaria did he want to buy them. knew i collect worcs so bought them down to me. in the photo of him he wearing a lance corporal stripe. if i can scan it i will upload it to site.so just to say another group rescued from probally ending up discarded. and no they not for sale so please dont ask.
what will happen to them is as a member of the bham pals re-enactment group they will be shown at various displays we attend to educate members of the public. most museams hold medals and other items locked away, behind glass cases. and lots of the public will never see them. this way the public get a real sense of history when we display items from the great war at events around the country. i feel a far better tribute to the soldiers of the great war. we allow members of the public to handle historic items and re-enactment copys. thus feeling a real sense of history.
worcester reg singer on the bandstand in the film atonement, known as the dunkirk singers.
windhunds

Postby LarsA » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:52 pm

Windhund,
I'll check my catalogues again for W J Pardoe's medals. This was probably in the late eighties, that's where most of them comes from.

Saw "Atonement" tonight, a good film though sad. The Dunkirk scenes very good, where were you in the choir?

ATB,
Lars
In memory of
17239 R J Washington MM, TEM, 2nd & 8th btn WWI
7852 W Russell, 2nd & 9th btn WWI
J Davies, 1st btn WWII, POW at Tobruk
4197291 Pte F Sheridan, POW France 1940
LarsA

Postby beardie » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:11 am

10171 pte alfred turner pension papers are on ancestry
steve beard
beardie

Postby johnjarratt » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:58 pm

This 1914 star is on e-bay(I'm not the seller)

British 1914 Star awarded to Private J. Allen, 3rd Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment.

7498 Pte. J. Allen, 3Worc.R

john.
Pte Thomas W Jarratt 4th Btn.
johnjarratt

atonement

Postby windhunds » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:01 pm

hi lars, bit late replying, i was the singer with the side cap on , in the beach scene singing on the bandstand. you may notice i was wearing a worcs reg cap badge. the only identifiable badge on the beach !!!
windhunds

MEDAL SET 5042 Pte J W Curson Worc Regt

Postby thesicilian22ab » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:19 pm

I have a medal set Pte-SSgt QSA 1899-1902(Bar South Africa 1902 bar Cape Colony, 1914 star(Sgt), BWM medal 1914-1920 (A.O.O)*
Victory medal 1914-19 (A.O.C.)
LSGC(Staff Sgt RAOC)

Curson has three regimental numbers,. Medals were the property of the late, Mr Montague Ball Esq. I am interested in establishing a family link
Ball Curson.
Hope this helps you records

*This could be a miss-stamp for Army Ordnance Corps?

Best Wishes Alan Batty
Alan Batty
Casa Pipistrelli Dell Etna
Castiglione De Sicilia
thesicilian22ab

Re: Worcestershire Regiment Medals, All of them

Postby Archdale » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:29 am

Mike we "may have" one of these 1914 Star medals awarded to Sgt William Shaw number 11028.
I have photographs of his medals if interested and for confirmation.
Archdale

Re: Worcestershire Regiment Medals, All of them

Postby Rob_Smith » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:31 pm

Hi.
Looking for information on my Grandfather L/Cpl Alfred Summerfield, Worcestershire Reg. Machine Gun Corps. 22735, 61384
He received the DCM for conspicuous gallantry.
That's about all I know.

Many Thanks
Bob
Rob_Smith

Next

Return to Medal Enquires