Battlefield tour Gheluvelt

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Battlefield tour Gheluvelt

Postby allanp » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:02 pm

I am going on an Old Contemptibles battlefield tour, the retreat from Mons, in late October. One of the main battlefields I will be visiting is Gheluvelt. I will be paying my respects to all the lads there, but if any member of the forum has a relative remembered there let me know and I will do my best to find his grave or memorial, (time will be the only constraint). Where possible I will take a photograph that you are welcome to a copy of. Any information you can give me as to grave row, number etc will help.
allanp

Belgium Cemeteries

Postby Mike Jones » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:51 pm

Morning Allan,
You lucky blighter ! Will you be there for the 31st October?
That was the date of the 2nd Battalion famous counter attack at Gheluvelt. Please try to leave a poppy and cross there from all of us. If the lads are looking down, they may smile upon our endeavours to remember them. They may be able to "Guide" us to some desperately needed casualty lists and Nominal Rolls !
I do have a few things you may be able to look up for me whilst there. One is at Belgian Battery Corner Cemetery (2 miles South west of Ypres). There is a Sgt. Leonard Jarvis 8628, 2nd Bn. buried there. He won the Military Medal twice but I think only one is listed on his headstone. I think he died winning the second one. If only one is listed , I would like to put it right. The other look ups are on a piece of paper I cant find at the moment.
Best Regards Mike
Last edited by Mike Jones on Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby allanp » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:00 pm

Hi Mike

I will be there on the 25th. Cross and Poppy already packed. I do not have any definite casualty list stating Gheluvelt, but I do have 8 D.C.M's for Act-Sergt A.E.Kemp 8525, Lanc-Sergt F. Sutton 6551 & Sergt G. Ellis 8525, Pte J. W. Banner 9954, Company Sergt Major A. Branish 8681, Sergt D. M. Owins 5105, Pte C. E. Lively 12789 & Company Q. M. Sergt W. G. Padfield 5778 stating Gheluvelt, listed on the 23rd January 1915.

I have searched for your man and I have found 2 entries which puzzle me. On the 3rd April 1915 Pte. L. Jarvis 8628 2nd Battalion, was reported Wounded & Missing. On the 1st May 1915 he is reported now wounded.

I will do my best to get you a photo of the grave.

Regards Allan
allanp

Righting the Wrongs

Postby Mike Jones » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:39 am

Morning Allan,
I have found my list. Please dont feel obliged to check these men. It is your holiday but if you have time, please try to get me a photo. In Maple Copse Cemetery, 3 miles South East of Ypres is L/Cpl. Alfred New 8677 3rd Bn.. He is Special Memorial B7. This is actually the only man I have ever contacted the CWGC over. For years the paperwork said he was killed 29th August 1918. I was sure it was 29th August 1915. CWGC said it was a typing error and the Headstone says 1915. They have corrected the paperwork but what is on the headstone, please?
In Sanctuary Wood Cemetery, plot iv row D grave 21 is Pte. James Hall 7507 2nd Bn.. Soldiers Died says he was Killed 31-10-1915 but CWGC say 31-10-1914. The 1914 date puts his death at Gheluvelt.
On the Menin Gate Memorial is Pte. John Lovett 2nd Bn., CWGC say wrongly his number is 10526, it should be 10528.
Lastly in Perth Cemetery, 2 miles East of Ypres is Pte. Frank McEntyre 2nd Bn., Plot X row A grave 10. Just a numbers check, CWGC say wrongly 10906, it should say 10908.
Many thanks Mike
Last edited by Mike Jones on Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

ghelevelt

Postby CPLCLIVE » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Hi Alan
Can you if possible get me a nice close up of the Memorial at Gheluvelt
I will reimburse any cost
Thank You
and have a great holiday
Clive
CPLCLIVE

Postby allanp » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:02 pm

Hi CplClive.

When you say a nice close up, is there anything special you need? Names etc. I have not seen a picture of the memorial so I do not know what to expect. Is it just a picture without to much background? Let me know.

Do my best Mike

I know I shall be visiting the Menin Gate for the 8pm Last Post Ceremony so this should not be a problem. Hopfully it is at a hight that I can supply you with a photo.

Regards Allan
allanp

no

Postby CPLCLIVE » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:26 pm

Hi Alan
Sorry that I am late getting back to you have been rather busy today No just a normal close up all those I have seen are in books and magazines and are all rather fuzzy
I appreciate it very much let me know how much I owe you
Thanks again and have a nice holiday
All the very best
Clive
CPLCLIVE

Sanctuary Wood Cemetery

Postby Mike Jones » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:59 pm

Hi Allan,
Sorry to muck you about but...If you only have spare time to do one thing in Belgium, please, please, make it this one. I have just realised that the only 2nd Battalion man Killed in action on the 31st October 1914, to have a "cut and dried" known grave is Pte John Hayes 9997*. He is buried in Sanctuary Wood Plot 4 Row D grave 18. Now Pte. James Hall 7507 , the soldier with two dates for his death is in Plot 4 Row D grave 21. Too much of a coincidence ! I bet graves 19 and 20 are "Unknowns", possibly unknown Worcesters ! Sanctuary Wood is about 1 mile from Gheluvelt, on the way back into Ypres.
Many Thanks Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Re: Battlefield tour Gheluvelt

Postby grahamt » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi,

I was wanting to contact Mike Jones, noticed his last post on this thread was dated 2007 so not sure if this will work!!

Leonard Jarvis 8628 is my great Grandad and after a bit of research have found out that, as you mentioned, he got two military medals but only one is noted on his headstone. I would very much like to get it changed but not sure how to go about it, any ideas??

We don't know anything about how he won them/only vague details about how he died (gun back-fired I think)/not seen any mentions in the london standard/no details of battles etc etc etc so any details you might be able to put my way or leads to follow would be very very much appreciated.

many thanks in advance

graham
grahamt

ot his closeRe: Battlefield tour Gheluvelt

Postby gilbo139 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:50 pm

Hello,
I,ve only just noticed this post as I am fairly new to the forum...the reason I mention it is I am wondering if Clive ever got his close up of the Gheluvelt memorial I,ve taken pictures of it on a number of occasions so if its still required let me know ( expect you,ve taken your own by now Clive)
Regards Colin
gilbo139

Re: Battlefield tour Gheluvelt

Postby peter » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:41 pm

Hi Graham,

The awards of your Grandfathers M.M.'s reported in London Gazette.

M.M. LG 21st October 1916. (Cpl.)
Bar to M.M. LG 21st October 1918. (Sjt.)

Did he come from nottingham?
Do you have any other details, date of birth, parents names etc.?

I'm researching 2nd Battalion 1914 Star men of the Worcesters and your Grandfather is one of the men I have very little information on and any further details would be most appreciated.

Regards

Peter
peter

Return to First World War