William Arthur Challis, Dunkirk France

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Second World War covering the dates 1939 to 1946.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

William Arthur Challis, Dunkirk France

Postby bluebellshell » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:32 pm

??, I really hope you can help me, I have been trawling the internet for information for my grandad. His brother William Arthur Challis was in the worcester regiment 7th battalion. My grandad says he remembers his mother having a telegram saying that his brother was missing in action but on here it says he died in Dunkirk France on 27/05/1940 aged 21. I wondered if there was a war grave for him in france or my grandad says he seems to think he remembers somthing about belgium. I wondered if there was any more information on him about how or where he died etc, his number was 5253604. thankyou for any information in advance. Shelley :D ?/?
bluebellshell

Postby Kevin Lynott » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:44 pm

Shelley,

All deaths during the two world wars in service whether in action or not are held by the Commonwealth Wargrave Commission, a check of your great uncles name shows that he has no known grave and his name is commerated on the Dunkirk Memorial, the CWGC searchable database can be found at www.cwgc.org
Kevin
Kevin Lynott

Postby LarsA » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:32 pm

Possibly you have found this page already on this website, but I post in case you havent seen it. on 27th may the 7th were back in France and under heavy attack from the Germans, one company encircled.

/Lars

ERROR://www.worcestershireregiment.com/w ... kirk_7thBn

This might also be of interest: ERROR://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/UK/U ... rs-12.html
LarsA

Return to Second World War