Asterisks on Medal Index Cards

This new section of the forum is for any one with medal information or requesting information about medals.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Postby Mike Jones » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:07 am

Morning Gentlemen,
I have a query I hope someone can help with. I know the Asterisks on Medal Index Cards are to show what what should be impressed on the actual medal. Please look on the "Great War Forum" on the section titled "Interpreting Service Records and MIC'S". There is a posting by Dannemois from 29th August. What do the asterisks on both cards tell us will be impressed on the medals, please? They are not in line with my current understanding of them.
Thanks in anticipation Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby beardie » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:39 pm

hi,
the stars on the card of douglas smith are to tell the impressor that the bwm and victory should be impressed to h.l.i. and the rank of cpl.

william smith card tells us that the bwm and victory should be impressed as pte dragoons

or am i missing something?
steve beard
beardie

Postby Mike Jones » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:23 am

Morning Steve,
Thanks for taking the time to put me right. Since our last talk I have got to understand most of it. Now, Smith Douglas has the “Mark” against HLI, no probs with that. His medals will be impressed HLI, though the Royal Engineers will do the issuing. He has the mark against Cpl.. Which is the highest rank he held whilst in the Army. Does it follow his 1915 Star will be impressed the same?
Smith William, will it seems to me have Pte inscribed on his medals, which is a lesser rank than Tpr.
Since I asked you about this, someone called Brett has answered the question on the other Forum. It made me feel better to see he has got it all wrong. He said the medals will be impressed Royal Engineers !
Many thanks and Best Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

ARMY RANKS ON MEDALS

Postby shelldrake » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:05 pm

Mike,

Just picked up on a comment made in your last post on medals. Generally in the Army, Privates (PTE), Gunners (GNR), Troopers (TPR), Sappers (SPR) Craftsmen (CFN) are all one and the same (certainly for pay purposes) - it is only the Corps/Regiment that makes a distinction.

This might help ease the confusion.

Regards,

Shelldrake
shelldrake

Postby Mike Jones » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:21 pm

Morning All,
Thank you Shelldrake for your note. Steve what will be on Douglas Smith’s 1915 Star? There are 3 asterisks on his card, (1) against Cpl , (2) against HLI and (3) against R.E reference number. Where does his rank of Pte come into it?
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby johnjarratt » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:55 pm

The 1914 and 1914.15 stars were impressed with the recipients rank details for this period only, but his number and regiment and name will be impressed with the details at the end of the war or discharge or killed status.

i hope this clears it up a little.
Pte Thomas W Jarratt 4th Btn.
johnjarratt

Return to Medal Enquires