20822 PTE. HARRY MURRAY

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

20822 PTE. HARRY MURRAY

Postby awalker58 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:46 pm

Hi everyone this is my first post and I'm looking for any information possible regarding Harry Murray.

I have found and cleaned up his 1914-1918 medal and I would like to find out as much as possible about him and even return the medal to living family if possible. I know he died in F&F in April 1916 and may have been promoted to L/cpl between the time the medal was issue and the day he passed. Also, if anyone has any pictures with him in.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance

Alex
awalker58

Postby scully » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:30 pm

Hi Alex,

According to his medal card he first entered the theatre of war on the 10th September 1915 in the Balkans. It is likely that he may have served with the 4th Battalion in Gallipoli before they moved to France in March 1916. He was killed in action on the 28th April 1916 whilst serving with the 3rd Battalion so he must have transferred to that battalion in France.

He was from Stourbridge.

hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby beardie » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:11 pm

he is listed in the stourbridge roll of honour, he lived at the hemplands stourbridge. he had only been in gallipoli only 19 days with the 4th worcesters when he contracted dysentery and was sent back to uk to recover. after he recovered he was sent to 3rd worcesters where he died.

beardie
steve beard
beardie

Postby awalker58 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:14 am

thanks for both replies. I live in stourbridge myself so it's great to know that he was someone from my own area. If anyone has any more information it would be much appreciated
awalker58

Postby beardie » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:35 am

alex,
stourbridge library has the local paper 'the county express' on microfilm.
try searching for information on yer man, the staff are very helpful. the microfilm reader is kept in a old broom cupboard but you get used to it :lol:

beardie
steve beard
beardie

Postby allanp » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:28 pm

Hi Alex

I have read you post and the information that has been supplied by Beardie & Louis with great interest and excitement. I would be very interested in any information that you may find on Lanc Cpl Harry Murray.

I have found an entry for him in the Worcester Herald in the 20 May 1916 edition as reported Missing.

My interest lies in the fact that he may have been killed in the same German mine explosion on the 28th April 1916 as my Great Uncle. There were 25 men of the 3rd Battalion reported on the same day as killed in Action. After the mine was detonated there was a fight for the crater in which there was obviously casualties. I am trying to narrow down the list to find who died where.

If you find any information within the County Express, I would be very grateful if you would send me a copy.

Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Return to First World War