1st Batallion Reunion 2007

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Second World War covering the dates 1939 to 1946.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

1st Batallion Reunion 2007

Postby John Hothersall » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:38 pm

As a member of the Batallion from 1944 to 1947 I would be grateful for ant details of a Reunion in 2007.

Regards

John Hothersall
No 14498525
John Hothersall

same

Postby CPLCLIVE » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:09 am

??
John
As far as I know it will be held again at the Worcester Rugby ground the first Sat in June
Clive
CPLCLIVE

Postby scully » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:25 pm

The 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment North West Europe 1944 to 1945 is usually held early in May each year and takes place at the Gainsborough House Hotel, Kidderminster. It is organised by Lieut.-Colonel Jock Bannister with the assistance of Regimental H.Q. at Norton Barracks.

Were you with the 1st Battalion in WW2 if so what Company and Platoon were you in. Do you remember the names of the officers in your Company.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

1st Battalion Erunion

Postby Frank Williams » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:59 pm

I would be interested in any details on the 2007 reunion.

After Germany I was posted to Trieste from 1946-47. I would like to make contact with any of my old colleagues.
Frank Williams

Company Commander

Postby Frank Williams » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:02 pm

The company commander during my stint in Triest was Captain T J Bowen. He ran a riding school and had a three-legged dog called Aster.
Frank Williams

penguin

Postby CPLCLIVE » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:05 pm

:lol: ??
Frank was Major Bowen (Later COL) K nown affectionately as THE PENGUIN in those days as he was at Bulford garrison in the fifties due to the way he walked but he was a very good officer too I think it was at Tobruck that he was awarded the Military Cross.
?/?
CPLCLIVE

Postby Frank Williams » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:05 pm

Thanks, Clive.

I didn't know his nickname was the Penguin. I seem to recollect that Captain Bowen was captured at Tobruck and later escaped in Italy. Unfortunately he was recaptured after the local peasants betrayed him. I am not sure but I think he managed to escape again later.

I remember him later as a Major and he eventually became High Sheriff of Worcestershire, my home County. I was at his funeral a few years ago.

Were you in the 1st Battalion? If so, are you in touch with an ex colleagues?

One of my mates in the army was "Nobby" Hall who I think came from 10 Downing Street, Handsworth, Birmingham (now demolished) and later after demob to Brierly Hill area. If anyone nows of his whereabouts now I would would love to make contact with him again.

Regards.

Frank Williams (Corperal)
Frank Williams

Postby Frank Williams » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:12 pm

I noticed that Scully has posted information on the reunion for anyone in the regiment from 1940-45. I was conscripted from 1945-47. Would this still be the same reunion or is a seperate one organised for my period in the Worcestershires?

Frank.
Frank Williams

1st battalion reunion

Postby barbie » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:31 am

Hi
My Grandfather was killed in France in 1944 his name was pte George Fredrick Evans. can family members attend the reunion, I would love to learn more about the battalion, from those who know best.
Regards
Barbara
barbie

Maj Bowen

Postby CPLCLIVE » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:11 pm

?? :lol:
Hi Frank
I am in touch with a few I mostly see them at the annual reunion but I am afraid we get less and less I myself have been unble to get to the reunion for the past two years because of ill health I did get over to Norton Barracks the other week at the very kind innovation from Lt Col Lowles and Maj Bob Prophet who invited me over to RHQ to have a look at some regimental badges which they have been unable to put on show in the regimental museum due to lack of space and I apprciated that very much. back to Maj Bowen his son was in the regiment a few years ago in fact he was my son's platoon commander. as for the reunion next year no one seems to know what is going to happen we may not have a regimental journal either evrything seems to be up in the air at present. I do know that RHQ will no longer be at Worcestrer very upsetting considering we have had RHQ at Worcester for well over one henered and fifty years.
Clive
CPLCLIVE

Return to Second World War