Gallipoli diaries 4th battalion Worcs

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Postby flopsy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:45 pm

Have been researching my gt uncle JOHN GIBBONS 4th Worcs in WW1 and have managed to get a copy of the regimental diary for 1915-1916 in Gallipoli. If anyone would like me to search for their relatives in it I am happy to do so.
They make incredible reading- how any soldier survived was a miracle.
flopsy

Postby allanp » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:59 pm

Hi ????

I have found a reference to a 4783 Pte J. Gibbons 4th Battalion in the Worcester Herald. Is this your Great Uncle?

Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Postby flopsy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:11 pm

Hi Allen

Unfortunately I don't think so. My great uncle was John Gibbons pte 12927, then corporal (when he became that not sure). He went on to serve with the regiment from 1916 in France and survived all that horror too.

Thank you for looking.

Best wishes
Anne
flopsy

Postby allanp » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:46 pm

Hi Anne

Shame about that, I could have told you which hospital he was in.

I will take you up on your kind offer to search the war diary.

My Great Uncle was 12631 (at that time) Lanc Cpl George William Hill.

He was wounded on the 11th May 1915.

He also was mentioned for good and gallant service on the 29 April 1915 by Lieut Col D. E. Cayley.

I would be greatful if you could see if there was any mention of these two events in the diary.

Thanks Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Postby beardie » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:58 pm

hi anne ,
what does the war diary say what happened on the 6th august 1915

thanks
beardie
steve beard
beardie

4th Battalion Regimental diaries 1916

Postby flopsy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:00 pm

Hello Allan

I have looked in the diaries for the dates you gave me, and although I didn't find a mention of Lance Cpl George William Hill as an individual I did find a couple of things that may interest you.

Firstly as you know the Worcs landed on Gallipoli 25th April 1915-
"Landed at Silled Bar, West Beach at 10.00a.m. 1 platoon of W company landed at 'V' beach but owing to beach swept by fire of enemy remainder landed at W beach."

?? April.?/?

'At daybreak Battalion shelled from the forte on the Asiatic side but there were no casualties. At 1.00p.m Lt Col Cayley was taken away to command the 86th Brigade leaving Major Setton in Command of Battalion.'
So I think that means that the brave action your relative was mentioned for probably happened during the opening 2 days of the battle.

?? ?/?

'5.30a.m Still in support trenches. We have spent a quiet day. At last the relieve begins to arrive. Time 9.40p.m the 6th Manchesters are the relief. It is now raining hard and everyone feels a bit uncomfortable. Two Companies were relieved by 2.30a.m the relieve taking a long while on account of the heavy firing that was taking place which was very unfortunate for the Manchesters as this was their first appearance in the firing line. The Battalion was unable to move to the rear until 3.45a.m. It was raining hard and everyone was feeling a bit soaked and uncomfortable but still cheerful, which we have been at all times'.

Then on ?? May there is a copy of Special Order General ?/? which reads:

'For the first time for 18 days and nights it has been possible to withdraw the 29th Division from the fire fight. During the whole of that long period of unprecedented strain the Division has held ground or gained it against the bullets and bayonets of the constantly renewed forces of the foe. During the whole of that long period they have been illuminating the pages of Military History with their blood.
The losses have been terrible but mingling with the deep sorrow for fallen comrades arises a feeling of pride in the invincible spirit which has enable the survivors to triumph where ordinary troops must inevitably failed. I tender to Major General Hunter Weston and his Division at the same time my profound sympathy with their losses and my warmest congratulations on their achievement.
Ian Hamilton -General'

So Lance Corporal George W Hill was injured on the final day of a very long stint in the firing line.

Hope that is of use to you.
best wishes
Anne
flopsy

Postby flopsy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:36 pm

Dear Steve

August 6th 1915 was a terrible day for the 4th Battn Worcs.
It was either the 2nd or 3rd battle of KRITHIA.
They suffered terrible losses and the following is an extract out of 4 pages of the report about the battle- but I think it conveys what it was like.

The 1st line covered 200yds when the dust made the men stop for breath. When they restarted they were an easy target and many shot. 'The 2nd line suffered terribly from machine gun fire and only isolated groups got through.' The 3rd line 'encountered murderous machine gun and shell fire immediately they left the trenches and though none turned back only a small section in dead ground on the right succeeded in getting more than 50yds from our trench.

'It was owing to the failure of these attacks that our men were subjected to the terrible enfilade Machine Gun fire, which was continued even after the last line had nearly all been shot down being brought to bear together with shrapnel on the groups of wounded until scarcely a man was left alive.'

'Many wounded men brought in during the night and at dawn the Battalion returned to Gully Beach for re-organisation having lost in the attack 16 Officers and 752 Other Ranks'.

The diary finishes there and is not restarted until 1 September. I'm not sure whether pages were lost or there was simply no one left to write them.

There's lots more detail but I hope this gives a feel for what was happening.
best wishes
Anne
flopsy

Postby allanp » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:50 pm

Hi Anne

Thanks for the quick reply. I new that it was not likely that he was mentioned by name, the Lads very rarley were.

I am grateful for the information that you have found.

Regards Allan
allanp

Postby beardie » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:12 am

thankyou anne for the information :D
steve beard
beardie

gallipoli war diary

Postby cradleymon » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:15 pm

Hello Flopsy
I am researching my local war memorial and a few of the men fell at Gallipoli could you please let me know where you obtained the war diary copy from as I would like to read through a copy
Thanks
cradleymon

Postby flopsy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:57 pm

Hello there

I PlumPudding a copy of it from National Archives on line service for £3.50 fee.

The reference number for the diaries is WO95/4312 '29th Divison, 88 Infantry Brigade'

The first section from Brigade HQ tends to have a list of casualities- usually numbers for OR's but names for Officers, and also good conduct awards.

Good luck
Best wishes
Flopsy
flopsy

Postby cradleymon » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:18 am

Hello Flopsy
Many thanks for the information
Cradleymon
cradleymon

Gallipoli 6th August 1915

Postby smitd09 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:38 pm

Hi I've noted the diaries comments on 6th August 1915 - 3rd Krithia - the day my Grandfather was wounded. Is there any mention of him by name Pte 19739 Fredrick Harrison ?

I'm told the losses to the 4th on that day are the worst losses to a British Regiment ever... is this true?

I am returning to Krithia in April 2010 and will be willing to photograph any grave - cemetary - view any one wishes. I currently have some pictures of the area and grave stones of Worcester men both 4th & 9th as well as a current view of the British lines at Worcester Hill - Krithia

David
smitd09

Postby scully » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:36 pm

Hi David,

Any photos of Worcestershire men war graves are always welcome as I add them on the website and link them to the individual name in the roll of honour list on this website (with a hyperlink).

You can email any photos direct to me.
webmaster@worcestershireregiment.com

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

2nd Lt. Edward Edwards (Reverend)

Postby kiwi_steve » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:45 am

I am trying to trace 2nd Lt. Rev. Edward Edwards... I have him down as being in the 4th Battalion and that he was killed in action on the 31st of May 1917... but is there any chance he might be mentioned in the diaries you have there? He was apparently part of the RAMC (Which I believe is the Royal Army Medical Corps...)

Cheers

Steve

PS: I'm researching him as he was the Vicar and Scoutmaster for our Scout Troop back in 1909-1911 before heading to London (via Canada).
kiwi_steve

Next

Return to First World War