2nd Lt. Edward Edwards - Reverend - 4th Battalion - RAMC

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

2nd Lt. Edward Edwards - Reverend - 4th Battalion - RAMC

Postby kiwi_steve » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:25 pm

I am trying to trace the history of one of our earliest Scoutmasters of the Avonside Boy Scout Troop in Christchurch, New Zealand - Reverend Edward Edwards.

I know from the Church records here that he moved to London and was the curate at St. Annes Limehouse in London before he joined the Army in 1915, and a side note says RAMC - I assume this to mean Royal Army Medical Corps?

The next line shows he served in Gallipoli and Egypt, and died in action in France on the 31st of May 1917 - the records online for the Regiment show the 30th - so I'm not sure what is right. He was apparently a 2nd Lt. in the 4th Battalion of the Worcester Regiment in France at the time of his death.

How would I go about finding more information on him during his time in the military? If possible I would like to find out if his final resting place is known as well. Any help would be appreciated.

regards from Down Under

Steve Dunford
kiwi_steve

2nd Lt Edward Edwards

Postby flopsy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:19 pm

Steve
I will post your query on another website I use run by a fantastic researcher callled Alan. He is an expert on WW1- I have tried to leave you the web address on this forum but the message won't go through the forum for unknown reasons!

Anne
flopsy

Postby allanp » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:56 pm

Hi Steve

If you Google the Comonwealth War Graves Commision site, Debt of Honour and complete the fields for Edward Edwards 2nd Lieu Worcestershire Reg. it will give you more information. He is remembered on the Arras Memorial.

I tried to add the link but it was not accepted.

As with a lot of Lads he has no known grave.

He is also mentioned in the Worcester Herald 16th June 1917 edition as:
Killed
Sec Lieu E. Edwards

If you contact me on my email address, I will send you a photo of the Arras Memorial.

Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Re: 2nd Lt Edward Edwards

Postby kiwi_steve » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:07 pm

?="flopsy"?
I will post your query on another website I use run by a fantastic researcher callled Alan. He is an expert on WW1- I have tried to leave you the web address on this forum but the message won't go through the forum for unknown reasons!

?/?

Thanks Anne... is that the same Allan who has provided some excellent information just below your post?

There is some security software on here which blocks certain things... Its caught me a few times.

Thanks again for all your help... I have some information to work with now which I will put in the reply to Allan below.

regards

Steve
kiwi_steve

Postby kiwi_steve » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:14 pm

?="allanp"? Steve

If you Google the Comonwealth War Graves Commision site, Debt of Honour and complete the fields for Edward Edwards 2nd Lieu Worcestershire Reg. it will give you more information. He is remembered on the Arras Memorial.?/?

I've done that and found far more information than I had before... I really appreciate the help with this, as I really didn't know where to start.

What I have now, from the site you mentioned, is that he was in "C" company of the 4th battalion of the Worcs and his parents names in Oamaru (only 2 and a bit hours drive from here - and I'm passing through there in a few days so I'll have a nosey) - so that gives me another lead to chase down here in NZ.

I'll post anything I find in this thread for future reference.

Thanks again

Steve
kiwi_steve

Postby allanp » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:33 pm

Hi Steve

This the action were Edward was killed.

Early in May the 4th Worcestershire were made up to strength by fresh drafts and moved back into the battle-area. The Battalion marched northward from Coigneux on May 1st, billetted* that night in Souastre and then next day proceeded through Humbercamp and LaherHere to Saultry
Labret Station. Thence the Battalion moved by train to Arras, where quarters were found in the cellars of the ruined houses in the Grande Place. All next morning the Battalion stood to arms, awaiting orders to move forward in support' of an attack which was then in progress ; but no orders came (a) and eventually the companies were dismissed to rest.
During the next ten days the Battalion remained in billets (b) providing many working parties, some of which went forward across the battle-field as far as the front line.
On May 14th the 4th Worcestershire moved forward into the battle-area. For a week the companies were in reserve or support positions, mainly occupied in providing working and entrenching parties; then on May 20th the Battalion went forward to the front line. The front of the 29th Division now stretched from Monchy to the River Scarpe, and the Worcestershire relieved the Northamptonshire Yeomanry (c) in trenches immediately south of the river.
Those trenches were held by the Battalion, alternately with the Northamptonshire Yeomanry, until the end of the month (d). The trench line ran across a sharp valley in which there was much scope for enterprise. Several small adventures took place when parties pushed out from the line by night to establish posts further forward (e); but nothing of importance occurred until on the evening of May 30th. ' •
On that night the 29th Division made a great attempt to advance the line on'Infantry Hill.
The centre of the fight was away to the right but, as a diversion, the 4th Worcestershire were ordered to make a small attack on the German trenches near a mill which stood west of Pelves on rising ground above the river.
The hour for the main attack on the right had been fixed at half-an-hour before midnight.
The attack of the 4th Worcestershire was to be delivered five minutes before that hour, in order • to draw the fire of the German guns.
The attack was made by two platoons. In silence the two platoons climbed out of their trenches and advanced; but a heavy thunderstorm had soaked the ground and progress was slow. The enemy were on the alert, flares went up, and the German guns opened an intense fire. Through the
shell-bursts the attacking platoons struggled onwards, across heavy mud under a rapid fire from the enemy's trench. Many fell, but the rest plunged on, reached the German entanglements and engaged
in a bombing fight with the enemy on the parapet. Only when their bombs had run out did the Worcestershire platoons retire. The retreat was covered by 2nd Lieutenant E. D. Barclay, who gallantly held the enemy at bay with his last few bombs while his men withdrew (/).
Almost at once the enemy retaliated. The German gun-fire became heavier, and a large raiding party came forward from the hostile trench. Again a fierce bombing fight ensued; but ' the enemy raiders failed to gain a footing in our line, and eventually fell back. Away to the right the main battle was in progress on Infantry Hill. Heavy firing lasted all
night and, did not die down until the morning. Presently word came down that no success had been gained.
When it became possible to reckon the casualties of that fierce night it was found that the 4th Worcestershire had lost some forty killed and wounded (g).

Hope this helps.

Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Postby kiwi_steve » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:10 am

Thank you Allan... that is excellent. Can you tell me where this came from so that I can reference it properly in our history?

I must say, reading things like this fills me with sorrow... why do we continue to fight like this? Good men die in unbelievable conditions... and for what? I must be getting old...

Once again tho, thanks :)

Steve
kiwi_steve

Postby allanp » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:06 pm

Hi steve

It was an extract from The Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War (1914-19) by Capt H. FitzM. Stacke M.C.

If you are interested it can be obtained on CD from Midlands Historical Data at a cost of about £15. The forum does not allow web addresses so if you Google it you will find the web page.

If you send me your email address (not on this page), I will forward you the picture of the Arras Memorial. You can email me from the bottom of this post.

Regards Allan
allanp

2nd Lt Edward Edwards

Postby flopsy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:00 pm

Hi Steve

Have had a frustrating time trying to post the reply I received from Alan ( a different person- I think from this forum's Alan).

Because of the blocking I can't get it through to you, so my advice is to go on google and type in the search engine

city cirle communities world war message board

Follow the link through and you should find the reply Alan has sent to me on your behalf.

Hope you enjoy it. Let me know if it doesn't work and we'll have to think of another way of communicating!

Best wishes
Anne
flopsy

Postby kiwi_steve » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:31 am

Well, after a break away, I am back on the trail. I'll put the information Alan Greveson provided here for future reference... although events of the day Edward died don't tie up with what I have above...

I'd really like to know how and why he died... I've asked for a quote from the national archives for the 4th battalion war diaries... hopefully that can shed some light on it.

I've also emailed the RAMC but never heard back...

Cheers to everyone who has helped me with this so far..

Steve

Note: tried to post the other information I received but the site won't play ball. Security is one thing, but if you can't post information then what is the point?... this is a shame.
kiwi_steve

Return to First World War