Lt Colonel Charles Strangways Linton

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Postby jimwilliams » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:01 pm

Lt Col C.S. Linton commanded 4th Battalion at the Battle of Poelcappelle, Ypres, on 09 October 1917 where he was awarded a bar to his existing DSO.

He was awarded his DSO as a Captain in France in 1915 - was this at Aubers Ridge??
He became a Major in June 1916 - I think by then he already had an MC as well as his DSO.
There is an obituary recorded for him on 26 November 1917 - did he die at the Battle of Cambrai where the 4th Battalion went following Third Ypes??

Finally, does any one have a "potted biography" of Lt Col Linton?

Many thanks
Jim
I am interested in all aspects of the Third Ypres Campaign in 1917
jimwilliams

Postby scully » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Hi Jim,

I have added a new page about Lieut.-Colonel Linton to the website. On the Home Page click on the section about Battalion Commanders, then select the 4th Battalion in the next page then click on Linton to get his details.

Hope this helps.

Is there a reason why you have a particulary interest in him?

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby jimwilliams » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi Louis
Thank you very much for that information re Lt Col Linton.

My great uncle died at the assault on Namur Crossing on 9th October 1917 when the 4th Battalion took part in the Battle of Poelcappelle as part of the 29th Division.

I am trying to put together as much information as possible on the action, and on the men who took part in it, for my family records. My wife and I will be going to Langemark in May to retrace the steps of my great uncle - 38312 Pte George Stokes - and to visit the site of the action.

It's strange isn't it but until about ten years ago, family tradition had it that he didn't have a marked grave, but when I started to research him I found he was buried in Plot 15 in Cement House Cemetery on the Boesinge to Langemark road. As a result it has generated a thirst for more knowledge about him and the action in which he died.

Many thanks for your help and in maintaining a really valuable resource.
Regards
Jim
I am interested in all aspects of the Third Ypres Campaign in 1917
jimwilliams

Return to First World War