Pte Sidney Lee 36719 - 2nd Worcesters

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Pte Sidney Lee 36719 - 2nd Worcesters

Postby Pete Thomas » Wed May 05, 2010 8:23 pm

Hi, I'm trying to find information about Sidney Lee (my GG Uncle) and would appreciate any information including details of the attack in which he received his wounds. He died of wounds on the 18th February 1917 and is buried at Bray, Somme.

I have a newspaper report and a good photograph of Sidney which I would like to put on the forum but I couldnt work out how.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Best regards
Pete :D
Pete Thomas

Postby scully » Wed May 05, 2010 9:46 pm

Hi Pete,

If you would like to email me a photo I will add it in the PHOTOS section of the website so you can refer to it.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby Pete Thomas » Thu May 06, 2010 8:52 am

Hi Louis, I've sent you the photo. Thank you.

Cheers
Pete
Pete Thomas

Postby scully » Thu May 06, 2010 12:16 pm

Hi Pete,

I have added the photo and information in the PHOTOS section of the website. In addition I have added a hyperlink to his name in the Roll of Honour list which will also take you to his photo.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby Pete Thomas » Thu May 06, 2010 12:35 pm

Hi Louis, what a brilliant tribute to Sydney. Thank you very much.

Best regards
Pete :D :D
Pete Thomas

Postby scully » Thu May 06, 2010 12:41 pm

Hi Pete,

Your welcome.

By the way do you have his age when he died (date of birth) ?

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby allanp » Thu May 06, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi Peter

I have just seen the excellent information and photo of Sydney. He is also mentioned in the casualty lists in the Worcester Herald 24th March 1917 edition as:-

Died of Wounds
36719 Pte S. Lee – Worcester

Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Postby Pete Thomas » Thu May 06, 2010 11:28 pm

Hi Louis and Allan, thank you for all the information. I know that his service records haven't survived and from his MIC that he was entitled to the Pair, however do you have the war diaries for 17th February 1917? From the date, we know it wasn't a major offensive but the report suggests that it was an attack from our side, however, I'd like to find out whether it was a trench raid or something more significant. Any help would be much appreciated.

Louis, I've searched freebmd (none born in Worcester) and the 1911 census. The 1911 census shows only one Sydney Lee residing in the area, born 1880, which would make him 37 ish when he died. Looking at the photo I think this probably fits.

Thanks once again :D

Pete
Pete Thomas

Re: Pte Sidney Lee 36719 - 2nd Worcesters

Postby fuzzygreenjacket » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:43 am

Hello, just found this website....and I just had to reply..as I am researching the family tree as well.

Syd was my great grandfathers brother ( Edwin ). I too have the photo postcard of him as listed in this site.

I have some others family photos of him, not in uniform though, I have one of him in his bakers outfit. This was confirmed to me by my great uncle William (Bill).

His other siblings were :- Alfred, Edith, Edwin, Elsie, Emily, Frank, Leonard, Lilly, Mary, Richard. I have other pictures of the brothers in uniform.

I have more detail like DOB / DOD etc but not on my laptop. I will have to scan the pictures in. Although, I have pictures of his mum and dad, Richard & Emily (nee Tarleton) already scanned in to hand.

Nice to hear from you..
fuzzygreenjacket

Re: Pte Sidney Lee 36719 - 2nd Worcesters

Postby Pete Thomas » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:37 am

Hi, Frank Lee was my great grandfather and Constance Annie Lee, one of his daughters, was my grandmother. I visited Sydney's grave at Bray-sur-Somme last year. Frank's youngest son was named Sydney after WW1 Sydney. Sadly this Sydney was killed in WW2 and is buried at Fairfield near Buxton (two other brothers served and survived). As this if going off the topic of the Worcesters please send me an email if you want any more information.

Regards
Pete
Pete Thomas

Return to First World War