Sergeant George Poole

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Sergeant George Poole

Postby Frankl » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:23 am

I am trying to find more information on Serjeant George Frederick Poole (7192).
I know from the website that he was killed at Gheluvelt.
Other information that I have is that he married my Great Aunt, Louisa Barnett in Wolverhampton, July 1909 and that in the 1911 census records he is serving in Jhansi India with the 2nd batallion.
His wife was also in India at the time and they have a 10 month old son, shown as being born in Wolverhampton.
He was born in Wolverhampton in about 1884 and was a railway worker in 1901.

Any more information that you can provide to fill in around these dates would be much appreciated.

many thanks
Frank
Frankl

Postby peter » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:11 pm

Hi Frank,

Sgt. 7192 George Frederick Poole is on my database for 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment men for August - December 1914 (Old Contemptibles). I can't add any further information other than you already have as it would seem his service record was destroyed during
peter

Postby Frankl » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:46 pm

Hi Peter

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately only part of it appears to have come through. Could you possibly re-post please.

Thanks
Frank
Frankl

Postby peter » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:47 pm

Hi Frank,

Yes sorry about that having some trouble with my computer and tried to correct my posting, anyway I was trying to say that his service records must have been destroyed during the Blitz in 1940. I have not been able to find any further information other than what you put in your original posting. I assume you have checked his MIC and CWGC site. He enlisted in Dudley but the year I don't know. Hope you have better luck than I have to date. If I do find any further details for him I will let you know.

Regards

Peter
peter

Postby Frankl » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:18 pm

Hi Peter

Thanks for that, I have found George Poole from my research of my family tree, and tried the regimental site after finding the 1911 census information. Otherwise I would not know about the link with Worcestershires or the battle of Ghulevelt.
Not sure what the MIC or CWGC sites might be ?

Thanks
Frank
Frankl

Postby peter » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:54 pm

Hi Frank,

www.cwgc.org
Commonwealth War Graves Commission (GWGC)
Search for deatails on George.

Medal Index Cards (MIC)
If you are on Ancestry you can down load his MIC which will give you information on the medals that George was entitled. If you don't have Ancestry let me have your email and I will send you a copy.

Regards

Peter
peter

Postby Frankl » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:33 am

Hi Peter

Yes I have checked both of those sites, just did not recognise the initials - I'm new to the military side of the research.

Cheers
Frank
Frankl

George F Poole

Postby Mike Jones » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:48 pm

Hello Frank,
Your relative joined the Worcestershire Regiment on 26th Sept 1902. His family received his 1914 Star but the "Clasp" to it was never claimed. You can see his name in Worcester Cathedral on the Embarkation Roll. You can see a foto of the Roll on the home page of this website.
Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby Frankl » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi Mike

Sorry, I have just noticed that I have not replied to your post. Thanks for the information.
I have seen the Embarkation Roll on the website.
I am very new to the military side of family history, so I apologise for asking what might be silly questions, but when you say thet the "Clasp" to the 1914 Star was not claimed, what exactly was the clasp and why would the family not have claimed it when they had already had the Star ?
Frank
Frankl

Re: Sergeant George Poole

Postby higgitt » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi Frankl

I'm following up a general posting I made to the Worcestershire Regiment forum, a few weeks ago, regarding the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment at Gheluvelt in 1914.
It explained that, as two former journalists on the Worcester Evening News (now Worcester News), a colleague and I are in the early stages of planning a radio documentary to mark the centenary of the battle in 2014.
Cultivating the interest of the BBC will be no easy task. We've made an initial approach, but -- before taking the next step – we know that we have to put a synopsis and treatment together.
In order to do that, we need to plug one gap in the research. That's adding the 'flesh and blood' element that comes with being able to focus on a family or families whose forebears took part in the charge on the chateau.
I'm now making contact with people who've posted messages on this forum trying to establish whether their fathers / grandfathers / uncles / great-uncles were among the chargers.
In this particular case, it's because this thread mentions George Frederick Poole, who is named in regimental records as having been in 2nd Battalion and who died on October 31, 1914.
I'm hoping two things. Firstly, that you'll have family documents that can deliver personal testimony (perhaps in the form of memoirs or letters) to the growing story. Secondly, that – if you do – you'll be interested in helping to move this early research on to a new level and provide our approach to the BBC with some direct link back to that historic day.
This is very early in the process, I must stress. But I'd be delighted to hear from you if you feel able and willing to help us produce a compelling proposal to the BBC for what will, of course, be the only chance to mark this remarkable moment in world history.
Thanks in anticipation and kind regards,

Mark Higgitt
Alcester
Warwickshire
Mark Higgitt
Warwickshire
higgitt

Postby Frankl » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi Mark
I would be pleased to help with this though I do not have a lot of information.
George Poole married a great aunt of mine. Most of the information I have is based on my family history research.
If you let me have an email address I can send you stuff that way.
Cheers
Frank
Frank
Frankl

Postby higgitt » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:15 pm

Hi Frank!

Thanks for the swift reply. That's a very kind offer. I'd be delighted to chat via markhiggitt@gmail.com when you have time.
Have a great Christmas if I don't hear from you before then.
Regards,

Mark
Mark Higgitt
Warwickshire
higgitt

Postby higgitt » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:26 pm

Hi again, Frank,

After a family bereavement, I'm ready to pick up the thread of my research.
Are you still feeling okay about sharing your information about Sgt George Poole with me? If so, my email is markhiggitt@gmail.com.
Hope you're well. Regards,

Mark Higgitt
Mark Higgitt
Warwickshire
higgitt

Return to First World War