Grandfather's medals from India

This new section of the forum is for any one with medal information or requesting information about medals.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Grandfather's medals from India

Postby maidofkent » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:21 pm

I'm trying to find information on my Grandfather's medals that were awarded to him for service in India between 1908 and 1914.
I think it is know as a Brailey Medal, it's bronze with a blue ribbon.
Can anyone tell me what it would have been awarded for?
maidofkent

Postby scully » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:22 pm

Hi,

I think the medal you may be referring to is a bravery Medal which was bronze with a blue ribbon. This was issued by the Royal Humane Society and was awarded to those who have put their own lives at risk to save or attempt to save someone else. The awards granted for these acts of bravery include bronze and silver medals and Testimonials on Vellum or Parchment.

You will find some information and details of this medal on this website. On the home page of this website you will see a section with a link to information about the Royal Humane Society medal with a photo of the medal and details of Worcestershire Regiment men who were granted this award.

What was the name of your grandfather and which battion did he serve in?

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby maidofkent » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:15 am

Hi Louis,

Thanks for your reply. I have had a look at the Humane Society website and unfortunatly that isn't the correct medal. Family stories state that it was something to do with being the best shot in the batallion or regiment, not sure how true this is though.

My grandfather was Pte William Thomas Comber 9518. On the 1911 census he was in the 4th batallion then I'm not sure which batallion he is in as on his medal record he joined WW1 on the 27th August 1914. As far as I can see the 4th joined in 1916.

In 1915 he was transfered to the Ox & Bucks 21304 until 1919 and the back to the Worcesters on 15th March 1919 where he was stationed in India. I'm not sure what batallion or why.

If you can find any information I would be grateful.

Kind regards

Di
maidofkent

Postby LarsA » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:37 am

Hi, his Medal Index card says he was 2nd battalion in august 1914. Is the bronze medal shaped like a cross?

ATB,
Lars
In memory of
17239 R J Washington MM, TEM, 2nd & 8th btn WWI
7852 W Russell, 2nd & 9th btn WWI
J Davies, 1st btn WWII, POW at Tobruk
4197291 Pte F Sheridan, POW France 1940
LarsA

Postby maidofkent » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:37 am

Hi
Thanks for the information,

I have spoken to an older member of the family who seems to think the medal is called The Bronze Medal? or the Du Barailly Medal?
but still not sure what it was awarded for, he thinks it was a army wide competion for sharp shooting?

It's a round bronze medal, like a indian fighting shield,on the face of the medal around a raised boss are action figures in classical fighting posses,
the back is engraved with my grandfathers name.

regards
Di
maidofkent

Re: Grandfather's medals from India

Postby simonh » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:20 am

Maid of Kent,

I hope it's OK to revive an old thread. I'm looking for stuff on 29th Foot in India and came across your query.

There is a place in India called Bareilly. It is possible the regiment were stationed there. (An ancestor of mine "quelled a rebellion" there in 1815!).

HTH

Simon H.
simonh

Postby dcox » Fri May 06, 2011 8:38 am

Hi Simon
thanks for your information I'm still trying to find out what the medal was awarded for

Thanks
Di
dcox

Postby corona » Sat May 07, 2011 4:04 pm

Not the medal you were asking about but your Grandfather did receive the silver 1911 King George V's Delhi Durbar Medal
Regards
Corona
corona

Postby allanp » Sat May 07, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi Di

I have some information that you may be interested in about William in 1914.

I have found these entries in the Worcester Herald and the Bromsgrove Messenger.

31st October 1914 edition
Wounded
Admitted 3rd London General Hospital Wandsworth Common
9518 Pte W Comber

7th November 1914 edition of Bromsgrove Messenger
Wounded
9518 Pte W. Comber

Obviously the Messenger was slightly behind in its reporting.

Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Postby peter » Thu May 12, 2011 7:13 pm

Hi Di,

Sorry I can't help with your medal query but I would appreciate some help regarding your Grandfather.

I have compiled a data base for the men (just over 1600 names) of the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment that sailed to France/Belgium between August and November 1914 (The 'Old Contemptibles).

Your Grandfathers service records must have been destroyed during the second world war (have been unable to trace them on Ancestry) and the only information I have regarding Private 9518 William Comber is the information from his Medal Index Cards (3 cards 3 different spellings, Comber, Coomber and Cumber, although I now know from your posting his full name, William Thomas Comber).

If you could supply me with any further information (date of birth, parents names etc.) it would be a great help in making the the data base as complete as possible for every individual 2nd Battalion soldier (see my posting on WW1 section of this forum).

Regards

Peter
peter

Return to Medal Enquires