Lance Corporal Herbert Bromage. KIA 1914

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Lance Corporal Herbert Bromage. KIA 1914

Postby Kelvin » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:05 pm

Hi,
I am visiting the France & Belgium battlefields in November so I was prompted to do some research and found that my grandad's brother, Lance Corporal Herbert Bromage, (regimental number 9084) was killed in action on 21st September 1914, having been in the regiment (2nd Battallion) since February 1905. A note on his records states: Killed in action at Verneuil on 21/9/14 and buried in a wood on the western slopes of the ??? ??? in the ??? de ??? - I'm still trying to decipher the question marks! (signed A. Manuell, Lieutenant Colonel i/c infantry section, ? HQ 3rd Echelon). According to the CWGC he has no grave so they obviously didn't re-inter him at a later date. I am looking for details of the battle in which he was killed or any more information about this action.
Best Wishes,
Kelvin Skyrme.
P.S. I subscribe to Ancestry.com so if anyone wants me to look anything up please ask away!
Kelvin

Re: Lance Corporal Herbert Bromage. KIA 1914

Postby peter » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Hi Kelvin,

The information reads:
In a wood on the western slopes of the Beaulne spur in the Bois de Brules, Verneuil.

From 'The Worcestershire Reiment in the Great War' by Capt. FitzM. Stacke:
At dawn (21st Sept.) A” & “B” Companies were relieved and withdrawn into reserve. The enemy's heavy guns continued to shell the position at intervals and there were some minor attacks, but the 2nd Worcestershire were not actively engaged.
Footnote:
“C” & “D” companies on the hill lost 2 killed and 4 wounded.

On the 21st September the 2nd Worcesters lost 2 men KiA and 2 men DoW.

Do you have a photograph of Herrbert (for my database on 2nd Battalion 14 star Worcestershire men)?

You could contact the Regimental Archives at:
museummercian@btconnect.com
They may be able to give you more information (2nd Battalion War Diary etc.).

Regards

Peter
peter

Postby Kelvin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:13 pm

Peter,
Thank you very much for the information. I must try to find the site of the battle and make a visit when I'm in France & Belgium. I'm afraid I don't have a photograph of Herbert. I will ask my cousins but I don't hold out much hope unfortunately. I beleive Herbert's brother, Samuel Charles Bromage may have been a '14 star man as well, having been in since 1907.
Best Wishes,
Kelvin.
Kelvin

Postby peter » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:50 pm

Kelvin,

There is a Pte. 46000 Samuel C. Bromage served in the Worcesters, could this be Herberts brother?

If you do have any luck with obtaining a photograph of Herbert it would be appreciated.

I have two other 2nd Bn. men with the surname Bromage, Rueben William and Thomas.

Regards

Peter
peter

Postby Kelvin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:30 pm

Hi Peter,
Yes, 46000 Samuel C. is definitely Herbert's brother. I don't know of any relationship to Reuben William nor Thomas but I suspect they may be distant relatives.
best Wishes,
Kelvin.
Kelvin

Postby Mike Jones » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Hello Kelvin,
My grandfather was buried at the same location, same time. He has never reappearred either. Forty nine men were buried there by the 2nd Bn. over 10 day period. Only three of the men now have a known grave. Pte. Bourne 9890 and Pte. Cottrill 10085 are both in the nearby cemetery of Vendresse. The other forty six , I suspect are still buried on that hill, LOST souls. I have been there many times to try to find them, no luck as yet. Bois De Brules translates as "Wood of the burners". Made no sense at all and it dont anyway. Having had all the maps out with the Mayor of Verneuil, they are buried in "Bois de Moulin Brule" = Burnt Mill wood. There was a windmill that burnt down and this is the wood nearby. The Aisne canal runs right by and the lock there, even today is called "Burnt Mill Lock". I do not want to write much more as you may not return to the website and it will all be wasted. Hopefully you will return and we can combine our efforts.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Return to First World War