Investigating '2 into 1' family link

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Investigating '2 into 1' family link

Postby Mark1966 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help a family link I only learnt about yesterday?

I've always known my grandfather (Pvt E H Sandon) served in the Worcs regiment during the First World War, however, yesterday I found out that my maternal great-grandfather also served in the Worcs regiment during the First World War and it got me thinking about whether they were in the same battalion and knew of each other?

Maternal great-grandfather was CSM T Colleran, I know he had the Mons Star and Silver War badge, I also know he was invalided out at some point due to wounds. I think he was in the 3rd Battalion.

How would I be able to progress this investigation, is an enquiry to the Regimental Museum my best bet?

Thanks & regards, Mark.
Mark1966

Re: Investigating '2 into 1' family link

Postby allanp » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:15 pm

Hi Mark

I have not been able to find a reference to Pte E. H. Sandon but I have this on CSM T Colleran.

26th December 1914 edition of the Worcester Herald & Bromsgrove Messenger.
Wounded
6419 Sergt T. Colleran - Reported from Base Under 7th November 1914

30th June 1917 edition Worcester Herald
Wounded
6419 Co Sergt Major R. Colleran – Bromsgrove

14th July 1917 edition Worcester Herald
Wounded
6419 Co Sergt Major T. Colleran – Bromsgrove

Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Re: Investigating '2 into 1' family link

Postby Mark1966 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:01 am

Thanks Phillip, that's very kind to have investigated & posted a reply. This makes sense as I had a conversation with my Grandad on Sunday evening about his father and he got married in Catshill church I think in 1916 as we were amazed he got leave around the time of the battle of the Somme. His daughter is also buried at this church I understand although I couldn't find her grave when I looked (I used to live in Sidemoor!).

In the same conversation I was told he was invalided out through wounds in 1917.

I've discovered Pte E H Sandon's regimental number in the national archives as 44466, my Dad seems to think his father entered service in the Worcs Reg in 1917, so we're interested to know if both were in the same battalion and possibly knew of each other many years before any marital link.

Kind regards, Mark.
Mark1966

Return to First World War