alfred phipps

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

alfred phipps

Postby terryb » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:35 pm

hi can anyone help me find more information on my grandad alfred phipps no 201898,he served with the 4th worcs y company,he was awarded the mm in august 1918. he died and is buried belgium,in the cemetry in dadizeele.
terryb

Postby Kevin Lynott » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:06 pm

On the 28th August 1918 the day before Pte Phipps death, the 4th Bn retook the village of Gheluvelt with many POWs and a battery of heavy howitzers to the east of the village.
The word Gheluvelt is burnt into the history of the Worcestershire Regiment because on the 31st october the 2nd Bn took the village after a charge which some may say saved the British Army. The village was given up shortly after when the British front line was realigned and remained in German hands until the 28th August 1914.

I hope this helps

Kevin
Kevin Lynott

alfred phipps

Postby terryb » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:13 pm

thanks kevin thats another piece in the jigsaw.do you know where the 4th was about august 1918,because thats about the time he got his mm. thanks again.
terryb

Postby scully » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:25 pm

Hi Terry,

Below is an extract from the 4th Battalion history:

THE ADVANCE IN THE LYS VALLEY. (First Phase.) - August 1918
The 4th Worcestershire was the first Battalion of the Regiment to come into the line on the Lys front after the Allied counter-offensive was begun. On August 1st the Battalion left its training billets near Cassel and marched forward through Hazebrouck to La Kreule. In front of them the 1st Australian Division had scored a success by a local attack which had gained the Mont de Merris and the 29th Division were to relieve the victorious Australians. On the following night the 4th Worcestershire marched onward to the front line and took over the newly-dug trenches on the captured hillock from the 8th Australian Battalion.

As always, the consolidation of the newly-won ground was a trying period. The enemy's guns bombarded the lost high ground and there were several fights of patrols between the lines; which were separated by a wide stretch of broken ground (On August 3rd, 2nd Lieut. W. G. A. Collins was wounded).

On August 5th a patrol of the 4th Worcestershire led by 2nd Lieut. E. J. T. limes encountered a hostile patrol at close range. One of the Germans threw a bomb which killed the subaltern, and wounded two of his men; but the remainder of the Worcestershire patrol charged, and the enemy fled. Two nights later a strong German patrol tried to rush one of the forward posts of the Battalion, but were driven off.

In that adventurous fighting Captain C. E. Hackett, commanding "Y" Company, was conspicuous. A rough fighting soldier, who had won his way up from the ranks in three years by sheer courage and ability, he had long been known as one of the boldest leaders in the Division. On August 8th he found an opportunity after his own heart. Creeping out in broad daylight to visit one of his listening-posts in No Man's Land," he located a similar post of the enemy. He collected a small party-2nd Lieut. S. J. Rye and two of his men—and then quietly rushed the German post, returning with two prisoners. The afternoon was hot, the enemy had been sleeping, and the neighbouring posts were not alarmed. Fired by their success, the two officers led out a fresh party of six men to attack another German post, which was likewise rushed. Eleven prisoners and a light machine-gun were brought back. Later in the day another patrol under 2nd Lieutenant C. G. Sneade encountered an enemy patrol and fought them hand-to-hand, killing two and taking two more: a bold action in broad daylight, which gained great credit for the Regiment (a).

(a) For that day's exploits Captain Hackett and Lieut. S. J. Rye both received bars to their M.C. 2nd Lieut. Sneade was given the M.C. Lance Sgt. L. H. Surman and Private D. Cook were awarded bars to their M.M., and M.M's. were awarded to Sgt. W. H. Lawley, Pte. A. Phipps, Pte. G. H. Johnson, and Pte. F. Marsh. Next day (August 9th) Lt. G. T. Urea was wounded.

Hope the above helps,

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

alfred phipps

Postby terryb » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:47 pm

hi many many thanks scully for that information,its just what i was looking for.all i need to find out now is when joined the 4th.again many thanks.
terryb

Postby terryb » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:56 pm

?="Kevin Lynott"? the 28th sept 1918 the day before Pte Phipps death, the 4th Bn retook the village of Gheluvelt with many POWs and a battery of heavy howitzers to the east of the village.
The word Gheluvelt is burnt into the history of the Worcestershire Regiment because on the 31st october the 2nd Bn took the village after a charge which some may say saved the British Army. The village was given up shortly after when the British front line was realigned and remained in German hands until the 28th August 1914.

I hope this helps

?/?
terryb

Re: alfred phipps

Postby cgbmsb » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:14 pm

Hi Terry,
I have the medal Alfred was awarded,as it was pased down to me from my grandmother Rose. She was his daughter. I have his campaign medal for the 1914 - 1918 war. Grandma Rose was born in 1911. Was your mum called Alice?
cgbmsb

Postby terryba » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi my mother and your nan are sisters her name cissie she was the youngest born 1918 .Alfred was my grandad.who is your mother or dad.i remember my aunty rose who lived oakhamton in Devon .it would be great to hear from you has I'm going visit grandads grave next year some time he's buried in Belgium
terryba

Postby terryba » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:10 pm

Hi can anyone help me I need get in touch with another member about my grandad please can you help ?
terryba

Postby scully » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:14 pm

Hi,

Which member do you wish to contact?

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby terryba » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:55 pm

Hi scully thanks for replying so quick the members user name cgbmsb thanks again for your help
terryba

Postby scully » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:08 pm

Hi Terry,

I have emailed you the members email address so you can contact directly.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Return to First World War