Medal Index Cards, How many errors?

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Medal Index Cards, How many errors?

Postby Mike Jones » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:18 am

I have been doing some work on Medal Index Cards (MIC) and sometimes draw a blank. Am I doing it wrong or is the information given on them sometimes not correct? For instance Pte. Walter Akast 9427 2nd Bn. Worcesters. He was Killed in Action 14.9.1914, inside the qualifying period for a 1914 Star but his MIC does not show it. I do have all the 1914 Star Rolls and cant find him in any of them.
Slightly different is Pte E.W.Bragg 5403 of the 3rd Bn.. He is in the Star Roll for the 3rd Bn. on page 12 of L.2.5. But his MIC (Or at least the one I found) does not show entitlement to the Star. Just his Victory and War medals. In the Star Roll his initials are given as E.W. but the MIC I found is just William.
Can anyone find the missing MIC entries or are the cards sometimes wrong?
Many thanks Mike Jones
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Re: Medal Index Cards, How many errors?

Postby corona » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:19 pm

Hi Mike,
I have have a number of examples of soldiers' M I Cs which record the award of the 1914 Star only.
A second one then records the War and Victory.Some times only the one card has been copied.
Walter Akast's papers survive on Ancestry and record his entitlement to the 1914 Star.
Regards,
corona
corona

Postby corona » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:37 pm

The National Archives lists two MICs for 5403 Bragg.
EW and W with same surname and number.
Regards,
corona.
corona

Postby allanp » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:22 am

Hi Mike,

I have a reference for 9427 Pte W. Akast, 2nd Bn as Died of Wounds in the 25th September 1915 edition of the Worcester Herald.

5403 Pte E. W. Bragg is reported in the 9th January 1915 edition of the Bromsgrove Messenger as, Wounded, Reported from base 24th November 1914.

Proof that Pte Bragg is entitled to the 1914 star.

Hope this helps

Good to hear from you Mike.

Best Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Postby Mike Jones » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:13 am

Corona and Allan,
Many thanks for your help. I have learnt a valuable lesson from you both ! I put too much reliance on Ancestry MIC and did not check the National Archive ones. From now on N.A. first then see if Ancestry has a copy. It does seem that Ancestry has a few missing. Poor old Akast does not have recognition for his 1914 Star nor is he on the Cathedral Roll. The same for Pte. John Evans 9321. He was Killed in Action at Gheluvelt 31st October 1914 and has NO Star, NO Cathedral Roll, NO grave either. Robbed big time. Can you find anything on him please Lads?
I have followed the work of both of you on this Forum and you are both excellent researchers, many thanks.
Mike Jones
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby allanp » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:29 pm

Hi Mike

13th March 1915 edition, Worcester Herald & Bromsgrove Messenger
Missing
9321 Pte J. Evans Dated - 28 February 1915

24th March 1915 edition, Worcester Herald & Bromsgrove Messenger
Killed
9321 Pte J. Evans Previously reported missing, now reported killed

If I can help with anything else Mike send them over

Best regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Postby corona » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:04 pm

Hi Mike,
Attestation Papers survive on Ancestry for 9321 Pte John Evans 4th Batt.Worcesters.
Born in Birmingham he enlisted,aged 18 on 27/6/1905 enameller by trade.
Listed on the 1911Cesus serving with the 4th Batt.in India.
To the Army Reserve 30/12/1912.Mobilised 5/12/1914 and joined the 2nd Batt.
Killed in Action confirmed as 30/12/1914 after reported missing earlier.
The award of the 1914 Star is recorded on his papers.
His widow Clara, lived at various addresses in Birmingham.
Regards,
corona.
corona

Postby Mike Jones » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:57 am

Hi Corona,
You are amazing, many thanks but more questions, please.
First of all you refer to Attestation papers for Evans on Ancestry. Are these part of his service records or are some if not all Attestation papers in a different file? I always assumed they were just part of a man's service record.
I do have ALL the 1914 Star Rolls for the Worcestershire regiment and have Data-based the whole lot. So I can now search very quickly for names or numbers. There is definitely no sign of John Evans or the number 9321 anywhere. So is there a reference number on the report of his 1914 Star?
Many Thanks Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby corona » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:06 pm

Mike,
Yes Attestation Papers are part of his Army Service Records.
36 pages have survived many,however,are duplications.
His military history sheet,under medals ,decorations, etc.
records 1914 Star,British War Medal,Victory Medal, without any reference numbers (which is usual)
The Ancestry M I C does not show the award of the 1914 Star but other known details are also absent.
Perhaps another card has some how been lost !
The M I C listed in the National Archieve could be the missing one or not!
Wat is certain 9321 PTE. JOHN EVANS was entitled to the 1914 STAR.
corona.
corona

Postby higgitt » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:14 pm

Mike and Corona,

I'm following up a general posting I made to the Worcestershire Regiment forum, a few weeks ago, regarding the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment at Gheluvelt in 1914.
It explained that, as two former journalists on the Worcester Evening News (now Worcester News), a colleague and I are in the early stages of planning a radio documentary to mark the centenary of the battle in 2014.
Cultivating the interest of the BBC will be no easy task. We've made an initial approach, but -- before taking the next step – we know that we have to put a synopsis and treatment together.
In order to do that, we need to plug one gap in the research. That's adding the 'flesh and blood' element that comes with being able to focus on a family or families whose forebears took part in the charge on the chateau.
I'm now making contact with people who've posted messages on this forum trying to establish whether their fathers / grandfathers / uncles / great-uncles were among the chargers.
In this particular case, it's because various threads mention the names John Evans, James Richard Hall, John Hayes, William Morris and George Frederick Poole, who are all named in regimental records as having been in 2nd Battalion and who died on October 31, 1914.
I'm hoping two things. Firstly, that in your journeys through the history of the 1914 Roll of Honour, you'll have come across families that can deliver personal testimony (perhaps in the form of memoirs or letters) about these men to the growing story. Secondly, that – if you do – you'll be interested in helping to move this early research on to a new level and provide our approach to the BBC with some direct link back to that historic day.
This is very early in the process, I must stress. But I'd be delighted to hear from you if you feel able and willing to help us produce a compelling proposal to the BBC for what will, of course, be the only chance to mark this remarkable moment in world history.
Thanks in anticipation and kind regards,

Mark Higgitt
Alcester
Warwickshire
Mark Higgitt
Warwickshire
higgitt

Return to First World War