Richard Grocott 4th Battalion Gallipoli

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Richard Grocott 4th Battalion Gallipoli

Postby dryan67 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:43 pm

My relative, Richard Grocott (#20478), served with the 4th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment at Gallipoli. He died on 15 September 1915 and is buried at the Azmak Cemetery in Suvla.

Does anyone have the battalion war diary for that period? I would like to see if he is mentioned and what action may have taken place that day.

Also, can anyone point me in the right direction to find further information about Richard Grocott?

Thanks.
dryan67

Re: Richard Grocott 4th Battalion Gallipoli

Postby scully » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:57 pm

Hi,

The only reference in the 4th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment War Diary for the 15th September 1915 is as follows:

"On the morning of the 15th September 1915, Lieut. A. L. Wills was wounded in the right side he was at the time supervising a working party in C D Trench"

As Private Richard Grocott (20478) died of wounds on the 15th Septemmber 1915 he was probably wounded some days earlier! Most likely during the hard fighting on the 6th August 1915.

Private soldiers were not normally mentioned in the War Diary.

During the first week of August (mainly on the 6th August 1915) there was heavy fighting and the Battalion suffered heavy casualties totalling 15 Officers and 752 men. As the War Diary for that period was lost in the action, there is no complete list of all the casualties.
The attack was at Krithia Road, their principal immediate objective being the enemy defences around Krithia Vineyard.

For that day (6th August 1915) the 4th Battalion history states:
"All night the Headquarters personnel worked in "No Man's Land," bringing in wounded and searching for survivors. One subaltern crawled forward to within thirty yards of the enemy's trench and located two of their machine-guns; but there was no sign that any of our men were still holding out in the enemy's trench, or that any were still alive save the helpless wounded in the open. By dawn a large number of the wounded (about 300 men) had been brought in"

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby dryan67 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:37 pm

Louis:

Thanks for the detailed response. In reading about the battalion that was my suspicion. I am familiar with War Diaries having an extensive collection of Canadian World War II diaries so I am aware of what they cover. On occasion an other rank can be mentioned in Part I Orders or other attached documents.

I am also aware that the date of death does not always match the date of the action. In the case of this action, I guess I am lucky that he was recovered. I know that a great many men were listed as missing at Gallipoli due to the nature of the actions fought there.

Thanks again.
dryan67

Postby allanp » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi

I have found a reference to Richard in the 16th October 1915 edition of the Worcester Herald.

20478 Pte R. Grocott 4th Batt Died of Wounds

Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Postby carolbaker » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:32 pm

My grandfather Henry McDonald was killed in action on 6 August 1915 at Gallipoli unfortunately I have not been able to trace on other relatives. I found that the Worcestershire Regiment Museum Trust was very helpful in that, for a small donation and a stamped addressed envelope, they sent me quite alot of information including a map of the area relating to what went on during this period. It has helped me understand a little more of where he fought and died

regards Carol
carolbaker

Postby allanp » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:29 pm

Hi Carol

I have found a reference in the 9th October 1915 edition of the Worcester Herald for a H. McDonald, if this your Grandfather?

Missing
21806 Pte H. McDonald 4th Batt

11th March 1916 edition Worcester Herald
Previously reported missing now reported Killed
21806 Pte H. McDonald

Regards Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Postby smitd09 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:39 pm

I have a photo of Private Grocott's grave , would you like a copy?
19739 Pte Fredrick Harrison 4th Bat. Gallipoli 1915
smitd09

Return to First World War