Worcs Painted insignia on helmet ?

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Worcs Painted insignia on helmet ?

Postby Marne » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:05 pm

Hi from France,
Here is a steel helmet found in France by a friend, around the spring 1918 Aisne battle area.
The painted insignia looks like the Worcestershire regiment, with its elongated star.
Is there confirmation that this unit wore this type of insignias on helmet ?
Is the green color for a specific battalion ?
thanks
Marne
??://i42.tinypic.com/23lo0ed.?/?

Sorry, I don't manage to add a photo, is there any reason ?
Marne

Re: Worcs Painted insignia on helmet ?

Postby scully » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:43 am

Hi Marne,

The forum does not allow you to post links to images. However I have been able to find your image on the i42.tinypic.com website image 23lo0ed and had a look at it.

It is difficult to say if it has anything to do with the Worcestershire Regiment as there is no text on the painted insignia. There are no markings inside the elongated star. It does however look like a elongated star which was used by the Worcestershire Regiment. It is likely that a solider simply painted this on the steel helmet himself. It is a British army steel helmet.

Yes green is a Worcestershire Regiment colour usually associated with the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Re: Worcs Painted insignia on helmet ?

Postby Marne » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:53 pm

scully wrote:
>
> It is likely that a solider simply
> painted this on the steel helmet himself.
>
> Louis (webmaster)

I don't agree with you Louis. A lot of british battalions wore painted insignias on helmet in 1918. This helmet was found around Rheims and certainly belonged to 1st, 3rd or 10th Worcs which fought in this area between May and June 1918.

Thanks for your information. I better understand that I didn't manage to add photos.

Marne
Marne

Return to First World War