Information

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Second World War covering the dates 1939 to 1946.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Information

Postby ljw » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:35 pm

I am currently looking for more information on Private Arthur Taylor, 1st Battalion, who I believe to have died on July 24th 1944 aged 18 as a prisoner at Mouen. The very little information I have so far succeeded in finding is a photograph of him on this website and the details of his name, date of death etc at the Bayeux war cemetery. I would be extremely grateful for anything else you could tell me.

Thanks
ljw

Re: Information

Postby scully » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:23 pm

Hi,

Private Arthur Taylor (14669105) was wounded in action on the 23rd July 1944 and was taken prisoner of war by the Germans. He died shortly afterwards whilst a POW and was buried by the Germans in a temporary grave at Bonnemaison, France (about 4Km west of Aunay-sur-Odon). The temporary German grave markings at Bonnemaison were replaced by the British and at the end of the war he was later reburied at BAYEUX WAR CEMETERY, France (grave XXVIII. H. 17.).

I have added some additional photos (in the PHOTOS section of the website in WW2 gallery on the same page as the photo you have already seen) of the war graves and a newspaper article about him being wounded and missing in action.

You will notice on his temporary grave cross the date of death is shown as 27th July 1944. However the date now given by the CWGC on his grave at Bayeux War Cemetery is 24th July 1944. This is likely due to the fact his temporary grave was only found as the British Army advance to that area on the 27th July.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby scully » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:47 am

Hi,

Some more information.

Private Arthur Taylor (14669105) was actually wounded during an attack on Hill 112 on the night of the 22nd/23rd July 1944. ‘A’ Company of the 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment had run into an ambush and received many casualties and it is likely Private Taylor was one of them.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby scully » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:53 pm

Hi,
I have added a new section to the website about "Hill 112" battle. You will find the link in the 1st Battalion drop-down list and also in the History (1938 to 1946) drop-down list.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby ljw » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:56 pm

Hi Louis

Apologies for the late reply, thank you for your responses! I have read the section you mentioned in the previous post and found it extremely helpful. The additional information you gave is also very much appreciated, particularly the newspaper article. I don't suppose you know anything about any of the siblings mentioned in the article, for example whether they survived the war? Or could suggest where I could search for this information myself?

Many thanks again for your time and help,
Lily
ljw

Postby scully » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:11 am

Hi Lily,

Arthur Taylor had one older sister and two older brothers. Family details below:

Parents where:
FATHER = Arthur Taylor (Birth 28th July 1888 in Grenville Street,Stalybridge, Cheshire, England - Death 26th Feb. 1961 in 17 King Street, Hollingworth,Cheshire,England).
MOTHER = Emily Cuddy (Birth 26th Dec. 1889 in Market Street,Hollingworth,Cheshire,England - Death 11th March 1959 in Christie Hospital Withington Manchester,England
Their marriage Information - Date 29 March, 1913 at Christ Church, Tintwistle.

CHILDREN
Mary Taylor (Birth 24th July 1919 in Hollingworth Cheshire - Death (don't have date) in Southend-on-sea, Essex)

James Taylor (know as "Jas")- (Birth 17, Aug. 1920 in Hollingworth, Cheshire,England - Death 13, March 1991 in Brantford, Ontario, Canada)
He was a Gunner in the R.A.F. and survived the war.
Marriage Information 7th Feb. 1942 Bredbury, Cheshire, England

Fred Taylor (Birth 8th Jan. 1922 in Hollingworth, Cheshire, England - Death 7th March 1993 in Blackpool Victoria Hospital)

Arthur Taylor (Birth 23th Sep. 1925 in Hollingworth Cheshire - Death 23rd July 1944 in Normandy France - Killed in Action)

Hope this helps.

Is there a reason why you are interested in Arthur Taylor - are you related in any way?

I have sent you some photos of his parents and also of his brother James by email. Also a better photo of Arthur.
Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Return to Second World War