How do i find out if my Great Grandfather was in the BoerWar

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Boer War in South Africa covers the dates 1900 to 1902.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

How do i find out if my Great Grandfather was in the BoerWar

Postby jacqueline » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:55 pm

My great Grandfather was with the Worcester regiment from the 1880s his name was Richard George Vant,he served out in Afghanistan with his family for a few years until he came back to Norton Barracks and later had a family home in Evesham.

i was told that he gained position of Colour Sergeant, and i believe he acted as a recruitment officer when the first world war started, infact if family legend is true, he enliseted his 2 sons George Thomas killed in action 25/12/1916 and John Arthur Vant killed in action September 1918, who was previously a bugler boy.

How do i find out if he had any active service out in the Boer War? i dont know his regiment no or anything, perhaps someone could point me in the right direction on whereas i may find this information?
jacqueline

Postby Albuera » Thu May 10, 2007 5:01 pm

612 Colour Sgt George Vant was awarded the Regular Army Long Service medal in 1896(?) on the recommendation of the Commanding Officer 2nd Volunteer Battalion the Worcestershire Regiment. He does not appear on the medal roll for the Boer War.
This information was researched in the regimental archives who are always grateful for a donation towards their expenses. A donation form can be PlumPudding from this website.
Albuera

Return to Boer War