Gheluvelt centenary

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Gheluvelt centenary

Postby higgitt » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:45 pm

I'm new to the forum. but not new to the legend of the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment at Gheluvelt in 1914.
As two former journalists on the Worcester Evening News (now Worcester News), a colleague and I are in the early stages of planning a radio documentary to mark the centenary of the battle in 2014.
As anyone reading this might imagine, cultivating the interest of the BBC will be no easy task. We've made an initial approach, but -- before taking the next step -- know that we have to put a synopsis and treatment together.
In order to do that, we need to plug one gap in the research. That's adding the 'flesh and blood' element that comes with being able to focus on a family or families whose forebears took part in the charge on the chateau.
It's evident from the many postings on this forum that many people are engaged in research to establish whether their fathers / grandfathers / uncles / great-uncles were among the chargers, so I'm hoping that -- even at this early stage -- I'll be able to establish contact with folk whose family histories can deliver personal testimony (perhaps in the form of memoirs or letters) to the growing story.
This is very early in the process, I must stress. But I'd be delighted to hear from anyone with such material who feels able and willing to help us produce a compelling proposal to the BBC for what will, of course, be the only chance to mark this remarkable moment in world history.
Thanks in anticipation and kind regards,

Mark Higgitt
Worcestershire lad (though now residing just over the border in Warwickshire)
Mark Higgitt
Warwickshire
higgitt

Return to First World War