4th Battalion numbers- Albert Birch

Post information here about individual army numbers or post a query about an individual and his army number.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

4th Battalion numbers- Albert Birch

Postby CBirch » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:56 am

I am trying to determine the enlistment date/Place for my uncle who was killed at Gallipoli on 19th June 1915. He was in the 4th battalion, Albert Birch, number 10910. He was from Birmingham so probably enlisted there??
Any help would be much appreciated, his service record must have been in the "burnt Documents" .? I have his medal roll etc but no information on his service.
CBirch

Re: 4th Battalion numbers- Albert Birch

Postby scully » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:32 pm

Hi,

I can confirm he did enlisted at the recruiting office in Birmingham, most likely the one at James Watt Street. No sure but I think it was early in 1915.

Hope this little bit helps.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby CBirch » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:26 pm

Hi Scully, Thank you very much for responding, it does make sense that he enlisted in Brum.
My dad (Albert's younger brother) told me that Albert was a "professional soldier' i.e Regular, and had served in India.Therefore I think that he enlisted some time before the war as the battalion was in India and then Burma by 1914.
Thanks for your help so far, it is appreciated.
CBirch

Postby CBirch » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:54 pm

Hello Scully and Louis,
I visited the Worcester regiment museum when we were last over in the U.K and it seems that Albert enlisted in Birmingham between November and December 1907.
CBirch

Return to Regimental Numbers 1881 to 1920