4th Btn India April 1912

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

4th Btn India April 1912

Postby Coldicott » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:20 pm

Hello Folks,

It has been a while since I posted and a big thanks to members who helped me with my previous questions. My Grandfather, 10944 Alfred Coldicott, served with the 4th Btn in India etc. I've recently been sent a photograph dated April 18th 1912 (a casual photo of my Grandfather and his mates) which has a location written on it which looks like "Raruket" (India). I've done a quick search on the web and the location name doesn't jump out of the results as a place name. Can anyone shed any light on where this could be?

Many thanks,

Brian
Coldicott

Re: 4th Btn India April 1912

Postby Coldicott » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:15 pm

Having looked at the writing on the back of the photo there appeared to be an "i" in the name. So, after a few combinations and a little searching I came up with "Ranikhet" where the British Army had set up a Hill Station. Apparently a very picturesque location with views of the Himalayas!

If anyone has any information regarding the 4th Btn's time / movements, prior to WW1, in India this would be much appreciated. I'm aware that they were represented at the Durbar.

Many thanks

Brian
Coldicott

Return to General Enquires