lost photographs

This section of the forum is for general enquires which are not covered in the other categories.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

lost photographs

Postby Kerry » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:46 am

Thankyou for accepting me on to this forum. I have recently been researching my Great Grandfather Private George Ward who is buried in the military cemetery at Richebourge L'Avoue France. My reason for my post is I have been looking through the photos that have appeared on the forum at the various battalions and my hope is someone may be able to help me. When my grandmother passed away we found a very small snap in her handbag of two gentleman obviously at an aid station and written on the back was "one of these men is my Dad " despite contacting the Royal Worcester regimental museum we have had no luck in identefing her Dad, we was informed that because of the bombing in WW2 the majority of records and photos were destroyed, this is very important to my family so im asking if anyone has any regimental photos that have names on them could help me please. His name was Private George Ward 11930 10th Battalion. Sorry if ive rambled a bit but very new to this thanking everybody in advance.
Kerry

Re: lost photographs

Postby peter » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi Kerry

Pte. 11930 George Ward went to France with the 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment 5th November 1914. He was killed in action whilst serving with the 10th Bn. 13th January 1916. Born London he enlisted in Bristol (his service number would suggest he enlisted Nov/Dec 1909).
Lots of photographs for 1st Bn. on this site but not named (except officers) but worth checking them against photo you have.

Although his service papers have not survived we can make a educated guess on why George ended up serving with the 10th Bn. in 1916. The 1st Bn. had been serving in the heat of Egypt before arriving on the Western Front in November 1914. The winter of 1914 was severe and many 1st Bn. men suffered from frostbite and George could have been one who had frostbite (or maybe he was wounded). Once he was fit for service again he was posted to the 3rd Bn. Again he may have suffered a wound or illness whilst serving with the 3rd Bn. and after a time for recovery was posted to the 10th Bn. This is a possibility but without his service papers to prove this its just a educated guess. We know from his BW & V Medal Roll he served with the three battalions mentioned above.

George was unlucky in the fact that he was one of only five men killed (and 10 wounded) with the 10th Bn. between 4th January 1916 and 17th April 1916.

Extract from Stacke (The Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War) for the 10th Bn.

On the following night (4th/5th January 1916) the 10th Worcestershire marched forward to the line and relieved the 9th Cheshire in the trenches at Neuve Chapelle facing the Bois du Biez. On their right the 8th Gloucestershire took over the trenches astride the La Bassee road, including "Port Arthur." Two tours were done in these trenches between the 4th and the 22nd of January, the Battalion changing over with the 10th Royal Warwickshire and resting, when out of the line, in billets at Croix Barbee. Then the 19th Division was relieved by the 38th (Welsh) Division. Welsh battalions (10th and 16th Welch Regiments) took over the Neuve Chapelle positions, and the 10th Worcestershire made their way back to billets at Robecq for a short period of rest and training.

I know George's wife was named Gertrude but do you know her maiden name and the year they married?

Regards

Peter
peter

Postby Kerry » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:11 pm

Thankyou very much peter for this invaluable information I have visited his grave at Richbourg (being the only relative to do so in 90 years). Yes my great grandmothers name was gertude her maiden name was HILL AND THEY MARRIED ON THE 21ST/12/1914. Thankyou once again I have found records that in the 1911 census he was at Carisbroke Isle of wight......Ive got so many little snippets of information it is so very hard to piece it all together and not being in position of any photographic evidence either is difficult my grandmother was 4 years of age the last time she saw him and all her life ( she has passed away now) it has been a mystery
Kerry

Postby peter » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi Kerry

Thank you for the marriage information. Do you know when George was born and his parents names?

Regards

Peter
peter

Postby Kerry » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:26 pm

George ward was born in 1893 his father was also called George his mothers name was Elizabeth thankyou
Kerry

Postby peter » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:41 pm

Thank you Kerry.

Regards
Peter
peter

Return to General Enquires