Dunkirk (1940) - 8th Battalion Officers

This Page is still under construction

Surname Forename/s Rank Number Company Notes
Johnstone James Lieut.-Col.    C.O.   
Jones S. W. Major 11802 2 i/c   
Hougham Kenneth Raymond 2/Lieut. 89424  I.O.   
Haywood E. J. 2/Lieut. 73657 Adjutant Acting Captain
Moore John Lieut. 76444 Signals Officer   
Day Geoffrey H. Major 31029 H.Q. (C.O.)   
Ramsay Frank Stewart Major 18103 B (C.O.)   
Mountford Victor Thomas 2/Lieut. 72364 Transport Officer   
Farrar John Dennington T/Capt. 72327 A and D Killed in action 29/05/1940
(age 30)
Phillpotts Dennis John Capt. 58762 D (C.O.) Wounded during withdrawal
MacDonald Grahame Warren Capt. 58979 C (C.O.) Killed in action 29/05/1940
(age 28)
Dorrell Geoffrey J. Capt. 62423     
Binyon Edward Mario Bertram Capt. 76670   Captured and became a prisoner in April 1940.  
Cleverley Roger Eustace Lieut. 78019 C (14 Platoon) Wounded 28/05/1940 and taken prisoner
Stiles Jack Philip 2/Lieut. 105539 D   
Schluter Edward Derek 2/Lieut. 105538 C   
Berry Edward Wilfrid Birkhead A/Capt. 72430 Carrier Platoon   
Moore John 2/Lieut. 76444 Carrier Platoon   
Kent Jimmy Lieut.   C (13 Platoon)  
Nicholls John Houlton Lieut. 72999 C (15 Platoon)  
Graham Arthur Aubrey Lieut. 78469 Q.M.
Baylis Forbes Warren Capt. 70621   Killed in action 23/05/1940 (age23)

Lieut.-Colonel J. Johnstone
(awaiting photo)

Lieut.-Colonel James JOHNSTONE, TD

He joined the Durham Light Infantry in 1919, retiring in the rank of Captain in 1933. In 1935 he joined the 8th Battalion The Worcestershire Regiment (TA), was promoted Lieutenant-Colonel on 26th January 1939 and took the 8th Battalion to France in January 1940. He remained in command of the Battalion in France and during the evacuation at Dunkirk in May 1940 and was mentioned in Despatches for his services during this period. He formerly handed over command in 1943 when the Battalion was in Lincolnshire.

His wife, formerly Lorna Fairbairn, was a British International and Olympic dressage horsewoman.

Lieut.-Colonel J. Johnstone died on the 16th October 1984 at Hanley Hall, Hanley Castle, Worcestershire, aged 84.

Major S. W. Jones

Major S. W. Jones (11802)

He was commissioned to the Worcestershire Regiment from Sandhurst in 1915 and joined the 5th (Service Reserve) Battalion. During the First World War he was severely wounded while serving in France with the 2nd Battalion. Later he was Adjutant of the 5th (Service Reserve) Battalion. After the First World War he went out to the 3rd Battalion in India and on its disbandment was seconded to Staff employ. He was Adjutant of the 1st Battalion from 1929 to 1931 in India and Shanghai. He was with the 2nd Battalion in Malta in 1932 and 1933, where he played polo for the Battalion team. After a period on the Staff in Singapore, he returned home to the 1st Battalion and went with them to Palestine in 1938. In 1939 he was appointed Brigade Major of 144th Brigade (Worc. and Glos. [T.A.] Bde.) and went out to France with them in 1940. He was Second-in-Command of the 8th Battalion in the retreat and evacuation from Dunkirk and was mentioned in despatches. Colonel Jones then raised a Battalion of the Gloucestershire Regiment, which he commanded for 3 years, taking them to India as an Armoured Regiment in 1942. Later he was G.S.O.1. at Lucknow and Commandant of the British Base Reinforcement Camp at Kalyan. He was promoted substantive Lieut.-Colonel in the Regiment in 1944 and was granted the honorary rank of Colonel when he retired on 5th October 1948 after 33 years' service in the Regiment.

Major F. S. Ramsey
(awaiting photo)

Major Frank Stewart RAMSEY (18103)
Died 23rd April 1985, age 84, London.

Capt. E. W. B. Berry

Capt. Edward Wilfrid Birkhead BERRY, M.C. (72430)

Commanded the Carrier Platoon

Lieut. J. Moore

Lieut. John MOORE (76444)

Born on the 19th October 1919. He was educated at Bromsgrove School of which he was later a Governor. He was commissioned into 8th Battalion The Worcestershire Regiment in 1938. After mobilisation he went to France in 1940 and served with considerable bravery, commanding the Carrier Platoon during the Dunkirk evacuations and later saw service in India. He later attained the rank of Major and was awarded the Territorial Decoration. After the war he resumed his farming career at Shelsley Beauchamp where he was was active in village activities.

John Moore died in Ronkswood Hospital, Worcester, after a short illness following a hip operation on 27th November 1996, age 77.

Capt. E. M. B. Binyon
(awaiting photo)

Capt. Edward Mario Bertram "Boy" BINYON (76670)

He joined The Worcestershire Regiment at Norton Barracks in 1938 remaining at the Depot until 1939. In January 1940, he went with 8th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment to France and was captured in April of that year. He remained a POW until 1945 when he was attached to 4/7th Dragoon Guards. In February 1946, he became M.T.O. Mobilisation Unit (UK) and was demobilised in April 1946. In September 1946 he was appointed C.O. JTC and Games Master at the Oratory School, Woodcote, near Reading, until 1949. He remained on R.A.R.O. (Regular Army Reserve of Officers) until 1959 and, in 1956, he joined H.A.C. After The Oratory School, he took a number of jobs in Canada, UK and The Bahamas, finally retiring as Publicity Manager for Muirhead plc. His brother, Captain R. G. B. Binyon (later Father Fabian OSB at Prinknash Abbey), was commissioned in 1941 and served in 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment.

Capt. E. M. B. Binyon died at Cobham, Surrey on the 28th October 2004, aged 84. 

Lieut. R. E. Cleverley

Lieut. (A/Capt) Roger Eustace CLEVERLEY (78019)

He was born in 1916 at Bedworth, Warwickshire and educated at Cathedral King's School, Worcester and he was commissioned into 8th Battalion The Worcestershire Regiment in October 1938. He commanded 14 Platoon of 'C' Company. During the rearguard action covering the retreat to Dunkirk, he was wounded and captured on 28th May 40 and held as a Prisoner of War for 5 years including a period in Colditz. As a prisoner, he contributed to the production of plays by looking after the wardrobe and making clothes out of blankets. On being released he was attached to the Military Collecting Unit, Talavera Barracks, Northampton from 1945 to 1946. On returning to civilian life he became a Company Secretary until he finally retired in 1981.

Lieut. R. E. Cleverley died at Malvern, Worcestershire on 29th October 2002 aged 86.

Lieut. J. H. Nicholls

Lieut. John H. NICHOLLS (72999)

He was granted a T.A. commission in The Worcestershire Regiment in 1937 and served in the 8th Battalion. In France in 1940 he was commander of 15 Platoon of 'C' Company. He also acted as commander of 'C' Company for some months and also led a series of long-distance patrols on the Saar front. He was taken prisoner near Dunkirk and spent the rest of the war as a POW. After the war he took a close interest in the WRA Rifle Club. 

Lieut. J. H. Nicholls died at Bromsgrove on 13th August 1997, aged 88. 

Lieut. K. R. Hougham

Lieut. Kenneth Raymond HOUGHAM (89424)

Commissioned in to the Worcestershire Regiment on the 24th August 1939. Known as "Ken", he joined the 8th Battalion and was posted to 'C' Company (Bromsgrove). He went to France with the 8th Battalion in 1940 and after the retreat from Dunkirk he was posted to the War Office. He was later posted to the 2nd Battalion Royal Leicestershire Regiment and to the Indian Army and the Chindits. After the war he returned to the Motor Industry and went to Australia where he was Chairman of the Australian Motor Industries and was instrumental in introducing Toyota, which became the market leader there in the 1990's.

Ken died in New South Wales, Australia on the 30th October 2000, age 88.

Capt. D. J. Phillpotts

Captain Dennis John PHILLPOTTS (58762)

Dennis John Phillpotts was educated at Banbury County School and early developed a love for affairs military, rising to be the C.S.M. of the School O.T.C. On leaving school he joined the Bucks Yeomanry, and when a staff transfer by Barclays Bank brought him to Bromsgrove he immediately took a commission in the 8th Battalion The Worcestershire Regiment (T.A.). He soon showed himself to be a keen and efficient officer, being a particularly good shot with both Rifle and Revolver. In 1938 he won the Service Rifle Championship of Worcestershire at the Annual Rifle Meeting of the County Rifle Association and also represented the Battalion at Bisley for a number of years. He was a very good athlete and was always to the fore in Sports events at the Battalion's Annual Sports.

Shortly before the Second World War he was promoted to Captain and was given the command of "D" Company on mobilization, going to France with the 8th Battalion, where he was wounded during the withdrawal to Dunkirk. After a brief period in hospital he was back with the 8th Battalion, and then was posted to the 9th Battalion as 2nd-in-Command, serving with that Battalion in Northern Ireland until he was posted to India in 1943. There he became 2nd-in-Command of 9th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment, and took part in the fighting in the Arakhan.

At the age of 32 he was given Command of No. 34 Indian Reinforcement Camp S.E.A.C. with the rank of T/Lieut.-Colonel, which he held until his release from the Army. Very shortly after returning to England he lost a leg and, was unable to rejoin the T.A. on its re-formation, but became the representative of the re-formed 7th Battalion on the Worcestershire T. & A.F.A.

"Potty" as he was known, was universally popular with all ranks, despite a tendency to bluntness. He died on the 12th October 1947 at the age of 35.