include "header.inc" ?>
|Commanding Officers of the 14th Battalion|
During 1915 it was decided to form special
“Pioneer” battalions to meet that demand. Those “Pioneer” battalions
were not intended to be non-combatant “labour” units. Their
creation was inspired by the famous Pioneer regiments of the Indian Army
and, like their exemplars, the new units were designed as fully equipped
battalions, skilled in constructive work but equally capable of fighting in
the fore-front of battle. To indicate their combatant status it was decided
that those new “Pioneer” battalions should be designated as numbered
battalions of various regiments of the Line.
The new “Pioneers” were recruited for the most part in the great mining districts of the North Country and of Wales; but there were abundant recruits of the needed knowledge and physique in the Severn Valley; and from that sterling material Colonel Sir Henry Webb raised at his own expense, a complete Pioneer battalion, known first as the “Severn Valley Pioneers” and later designated the 14th (Pioneer) Battalion of the Worcestershire Regiment.
The new Battalion was formed in the autumn of 1915 (the first Adjutant of the Battalion was Captain N. J. Jones, appointed in September, 1915) and was first quartered at Norton Barracks. The Pioneers remained at Worcester until the following Spring, when the Battalion moved to Salisbury Plain. At Larkhill and later at Codford the Pioneers worked hard to complete their training. The command of the Battalion was taken over by Lieut.-Colonel C. C. H. O. Gascoigne (of the Seaforth Highlanders) with Captain R. B. Umfreville (of the Worcestershire Regiment, retired before the war) as his Adjutant. The Quartermaster was Lieut. J. Batchelor D.C.M. (formerly of the 2nd Battalion), who played a great part in the formation and the subsequent achievements of the Battalion.
The 14th (Pioneer) Battalion crossed from Southampton to Havre on the night of the 20th/21st June 1916 and arrived at Havre on morning of June 21st. After twenty-four hours in Base Rest Camp, the Battalion entrained and proceeded to the front; finally detraining at Bruay on June 23rd and marching to billets at Chamblain Chatelain. There the Pioneers came under the orders of the 63rd (Royal Naval) Division, of which henceforth they were to form part.
Below is a list of all the officers who have
commanded the 14th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment from 1915 to 1919
DETAILS ABOUT EACH OFFICER MY BE OBTAINED BY CLICKING ON THE INDIVIDUAL