include "header.inc" ?>
|Battalion Commanding Officers through the ages.|
Since the Worcestershire Regiment was raised
in 1694 there has been many fine commanding officer. In an effort to
preserve the history of these officer, this website is now starting to build
up a record of as many as possible of Battalion Commanders. Over the years
individual battalions have been raised and disbanded and in some cases
officers have commanded more than one battalion in their army career.
Please keep checking this section as details will be added on an on going basis. Simply click on an image below to go to the relevant battalion section.
THE IMAGES BELOW TO GET FULL DETAILS OF COMMANDING OFFICERS
|1st Battalion||2nd Battalion|
London during 1694 by Colonel Thomas Farrington. In 1751 regiments were
given numbers, and the Regiment was numbered 29. In 1781 the 29th Foot
became the 29th (Worcestershire) Regiment. In 1881 it became the 1st
In 1702, Lord Charlemont raised in Ulster a
regiment which became Charlemont's Regiment of Foot. In 1751, it became the
36th Foot, and in 1781 it became the 36th (Herefordshire) Regiment. In
1881 it became the 2nd Battalion.
|3rd Battalion||4th Battalion|
The new 3rd Battalion was raised in Aldershot
on the 14th February 1900. Initially the battalion was quartered at
Blenheim Barracks, North Camp, Aldershot, together with the 4th Battalion.
The 3rd Battalion was Commanded by Lieut-Col. M. V. Hilton.
The 4th Battalion was formed at Aldershot in
February 1900 was first quartered at Blenheim Barracks, North Camp. The
Battalion was then raised in Ireland on the 10th March 1900, commanded by
Colonel A. G. Chesney.
|5th Battalion (Special Reserve)||6th Battalion (Special Reserve)|
In 1900 the 3rd (Militia) Battalion,
originally known as the 1st Battalion of the old Worcestershire Militia
until 1881, was renumbered the 5th Battalion. In 1905 it became known as the
“Special Reserve”, commanded by Colonel S. A. Stephenson-Fetherstonbaugh.
In 1900 the 4th (Militia) Battalion,
originally known as the 2nd Battalion of the old Worcestershire Militia
until 1881, was renumbered the 6th Battalion. In
1905 it became known as the “Special Reserve”,
Commanded Officer Colonel H. E. E. Everard.
|7th Battalion (Territorial Force)||8th Battalion (Territorial Force)|
In 1908 the 1st Volunteer Battalion of the
Worcestershire Regiment became the 7th Battalion (Territorial Force) of the
Worcestershire Regiment as part of Lord Haldane’s new administration. The
command of the battalion was held by Colonel E. V. V. Wheeler.
In 1908 the 2nd Volunteer Battalion of the
Worcestershire Regiment became the 8th Battalion (Territorial Force) of the
Worcestershire Regiment as part of Lord Haldane’s new administration.
Commanded by Lieut.-Colonel W. K. Peake.
|9th Battalion (Service)||10th Battalion (Service)|
The 9th Battalion was raised in the County of
Worcestershire in September 1914. Its first commanding officer was
Lieut.-Colonel W. E. Sykes. After the sad death of Colonel Sykes the command
passed in January 1915 to the veteran Lieut.-Colonel M. H. Nunn.
At Worcester in September 1914, Colonel A. G.
Chesney, who had formerly raised the 4th Battalion, now raised the new 10th
Battalion. Disbanded after WW1 the Battalion was raised again in August
1939 under the Lieut.-Col. Kettle.
|11th Battalion (Service)||12th Battalion (Service)|
The 11th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment was
raised in Worcester in September 1914, commanded by Colonel R. M. Rainev-Robinson,
it was part of the Third New Army and as such the 11th Battalion was in the
78th Brigade of the 26th Division.
12th Battalion of the Worcestershire Regiment
was formed at Plymouth in November 1914. Commanded by Lieut.-Col. Sir E. H.
St. L. Clarke. However, before the formation was finalised it was convert to
a training unit to supply reinforcements.
|13th Battalion (Reserve)||14th Battalion (Pioneer)|
The 13th Battalion was formed at Plymouth in
November 1914 under the command of Lieut.- Colonel H. de B. Hovell D.S.O.
The 13th Battalion never went overseas, but instead sent abroad the soldiers
they had trained in drafts to the other Battalions.
In 1915, Colonel Sir Henry Webb raised at his
own expense, a complete Pioneer battalion, known first as the “Severn
Valley Pioneers” and later designated the 14th (Pioneer) Battalion of the
|15th Battalion (Transport Workers)||16th Battalion (Transport Workers)|
The 15th Battalion was formed in December 1916
under the command of Captain (temp. Lieut.-Colonel) P. A. Hopkins. of the
13th London Regiment. The Battalion was absorbed with the 16th Battalion in
May 1919 and disbanded at Fleetwood in July 1919.
The 16th Battalion was formed as a Transport Workers Battalion in April 1917
under the command of Lieut.-Colonel C. Stewart of the 6th H.L.I. The unit
was stationed in Bristol, Southampton and Swindon.
Disbanded at Fleetwood July 1919.
|17th Battalion (Pioneer)||18th Battalion (Service)|
In March 1918 new Garrison Guard Battalions
were formed. The 1st of which was commanded by Lieut.-Col. T. W. T. Isaac.
This was allotted to the Worcestershire Regiment, becoming the 17th (Garrison)
and in June 1916 it was converted to a Pioneer Battalion.
||Formed in July 1919 at Sutton Coldfield but disbanded shortly afterwards in September 1919. It brief existence was due to the First World War but strictly it was never classified as a wartime battalion. Little detail is know of this unit.|
|1st (Reserve) Garrison Battalion||Depot (Norton Barracks)|
This unit was formed in January 1916 at Fort
Monckton, Portsmouth under the command of Colonel G. W. Lewis.
The Battalion was stationed in Portsmouth, Ryde and Dublin. If was absorbed into the 5th Battalion in Dublin and disbanded in July 1919.
The Depot has played an important role for the
Regiment over the years. Many officers who command the Depot later went on
to command one or more of the Infantry Battalions of the Regiment.