Lieut.-Colonel Sidney Hugh Curwen STOTHERD (30699)
Commanded the 7th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment from November 1945 to January 1947.
Sidney Hugh Curwen Stotherd was born at Thingoe, Suffolk on the 25th June 1904, son of Major Sydney Boyle Stotherd and Ethel Maria Curwen. His father was killed in action during WW1 (1915) whilst serving with the 7th Battalion Suffolk Regiment.

Sidney Hugh Curwen Stotherd was educated at Marlborough and Sandhurst Royal Military College. He was commissioned in to the Cheshire Regiment on the 27th August 1924.

He was promoted to the rank of
Lieutenant on the 27th August 1926. On the 9th September 1934 he was seconded to service with the Sudan Defence Force. He was promoted to Captain on the 18th April 1935 and remained on secondment. On the 15th January 1937 he was restored to the establishment and continued to serve with the Cheshire Regiment.

On the
27th August 1941 he was promoted to the rank of Major and during the Second World War he served with the Trans Jordon Frontier Force.

He was known by his fellow officers and me as 'Sam Stotherd'.

Sam Stotherd commanded the 7th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment in India from November 1945 until January 1947, including the eventful months of the Calcutta Riots.

Lieut.-Col. S. H. C. Stotherd
(known as 'Sam')
awaiting photo

In the Spring of 1947 he joined the 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment, then commanded by Colonel Robin Tuckey in Luneburg and moved subsequently with the Battalion to Berlin. This was his last appointment as he retired from the Army shortly afterwards on the 4th July 1948 and was granted the honorary rank of Lieutenant- Colonel.

After his retirement he spend period living in Ireland, before working for some years as Secretary of the Aldershot Club. For the last twenty years of his life, in retirement, he lived with his wife Elsa at their home in Heathcote Road, Camberley.

In his younger days Sam Stotherd was a fine horseman, a good polo player and a keen fisherman. He was a devoted sportsman, loved the safari life and was a fair Arabist.

Advancing years brought pain and ill health but Sam always loved to see his old friends and was in close touch with a wide circle in both his own, The Cheshire Regiment, and this Regiment.

Lieut.-Colonel Stotherd died on the 10th April 1982 9age 77), after a long illness.

A Memorial Service was held at Minley on 27th April 1982, and the Regiment was represented by Colonel T. F. Hughes, D.S.O. The address was given by Major-General T. Brodie, C.B., C.B.E., D.S.O., formerly Colonel of the Cheshire Regiment.