Lieut.-Colonel Edward Laurence TROTTER, M.C. (264949)
Commanded the 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment from July 1964 to June 1966.
Lieut.-Colonel Trotter Joined The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) in 1940 and rose to the rank of Sergeant before being commissioned into The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) in February 1943, and served in 10th and 6th Battalions in the United Kingdom and North Africa. In November, 1943, he was posted to 2/5 Battalion The Royal Leicestershire Regiment, with which Battalion he took part in the Italian Campaign, being twice wounded in action. He was awarded the Military Cross for inspired leadership as a platoon commander during a withdrawal and subsequent attack against an enemy position with superior numbers.

In June, 1945, he rejoined the Highland Brigade and served as a company commander in 1st Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, in Palestine. Throughout 1946 he was an instructor at the Middle East School of Infantry, and on return to England he was posted as an instructor at 163 Infantry O.C.T.U. at Maresfield, Sussex.

In January, 1948, he rejoined 1st Battalion The Black Watch and later became G3 (Intelligence) 2nd Infantry Division (B.A.O.R.).

He returned to Regimental duty as a company commander with 1st Battalion The Black Watch, in 1950, and later Adjutant of that Battalion from August, 1951, to October, 1952, in B.A.O.R. He served as a company commander with the same battalion in Korea and later in Kenya during 1952/53. In 1954/55 he commanded the Training Company at Regimental Depot The Black Watch, and in 1956 rejoined 1st Battalion The Black Watch as a company commander in Berlin.

Lieut.-Col. E. L. Trotter, MC
  (know as "Larry")

From November 1956, to August 1958, he was G3 Berlin Independent Brigade and from August 1958, until March 1960, at Regimental duty once more with 1st Battalion Black Watch in Cyprus. In 1960/61 he became G2 (Training) Home Counties District, Shorncliffe, and in 1963 returned once again as a company commander in 1st Battalion The Black Watch, who were by then the “Demonstration Battalion” at the School of Infantry, Warminster, Wilts.

Lieut.-Colonel Trotter transferred from The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) to The Worcestershire Regiment to command the 1st Battalion, then stationed at Minden, B.A.O.R., in January, 1964. He took command of the 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment on the 10th January 1964.

In September 1964, the 1st Battalion moved from Minden to Lydd, Kent, where Colonel Trotter was then giving his main attention to training, in general, and to Regimental shooting in particular.

In November/December, 1964, largely due to Colonel Trotter's personal initiative and advanced planning, the bulk of the Battalion was flown out from England to Dominica, British West Indies, for five weeks Jungle Training in that island, during which time the Battalion was honoured by a visit by His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
The Colonel of The Regiment again visited the Battalion, now back at Lydd, Kent, on the occasion of the " Glorious First of June," 1965, and returned from this visit very impressed indeed by the high state of efficiency and morale of all ranks.

At the A.R.A. Meeting, at Bisley, in July, 1965, the 1st Battalion Team, when within sight of winning the Major Units' Team Championship (the K.R.R.C. Cup) were denied victory, due to a L.M.G. sight-setting error, when handsomely leading right up to the final practice, to finish second.

But their successes included winning the Britannia Trophy, the Northamptonshire Cup, the Rifle Brigade Cup and the Manchester Cup, being runners-up for the Royal Ulster Rifle Cup and the Eastern Command Cup, being fourth in the Parachute Cup, fifth in the Small Arms Cup, and six members of the Battalion Team getting into the Army Hundred.

In September, 1965, the Battalion left Lydd for Gibraltar (with a detached Company at Tobruk, North Africa) where it earn consistent high praise from all quarters for its efficiency, and for its high standard of execution of its many Guard Mounting and other ceremonial duties.

On the 4th September 1965, Lieut.-Colonel Trotter married Miss Denise Ann Robinson, the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. E. Robinson, at Aramoha, Wanganui, New Zealand.

Colonel Trotter left Gibraltar on 10th June 1966, on completion of 2˝ year tenure of command, after handing over to Lieut.-Colonel A. M. Gabb the day before.  

After handing over command, he was appointed Assistant Military Secretary, G.H.Q. FARELF, Singapore.

Colonel E. L. Trotter, M.C.

Colonel Trotter also decided to live in New Zealand on his retirement, the home of his wife Denise Trotter. On retiring from the army he became the Director of Industrial Relations Branch of the New Zealand Government's Manpower Services Commission.

Colonel Trotter died in New Zealand on the 13th October 1998, age 76.