The Regimental Magazine

Green 'Un (July 1903)
(click here for more details)

The Regimental Magazine "FIRM" had its beginnings in the "Green 'Un," the magazine of the 2nd Battalion, which was published regularly for five years from 1922 until 1927. However, earlier hand written magazine by the same name "Green 'Un," was produced by the 2nd Battalion in the South African in 1903, this was in fact the first ever issue of the magazine.

During the First World War a hand written magazine "The Old Firm" was produced by 'A' Company of the 1/8th Battalion, hand written in the trenches.

This Christmas 1917 magazine was edited by Lance Corporal W. Charles Henderson, and published on active service in Italy. The front cover, seen here on the right, was designed by Lieut. A. R. Watson.

In 1918 the 5th Battalion produced a written paper "M.A.F." (Mainly About the Fifth), edited by Lieut. C. G. Bull, the Sub-Editor being 2nd-Lieut. N. H. Stone. It would appear that the conclusion of the War brought about the demise of "M.A.F." immediately after the first number, but, in less happy circumstances, it is obvious that the magazine would have had a cheerful and flourishing existence.

The Old Firm (Dec. 1917)
(click here for more details)

The "Green 'Un" was re-born one wet afternoon in a bell tent. It was fathered by four officers who had joined the 2nd Battalion from Belfast: Eric Knott of the Army Educational Corps, the Battalion Education Officer, who had been contributing brilliantly to the Cologne Post when the 4th Battalion had been in Germany, and who was later to amuse a wider public as Callisthenes of The Times; F. W. Allen who, shortly after the magazine was launched, took over the business end of the venture; C. P. G. Wills who, with Knott, was one of the original Editors; and G. L. Usher who soon joined the Editorial staff.

There were also a few separate publications for the 1st Battalion as well as the Depot and the Territorial Battalions. In 1927 it was decided that future publications should be combined in to one Regimental Magazine, which would be edited centrally. The new name for the magazine was "FIRM" and the first addition was published in November 1927, a date which coincided with the appointment of Field-Marshal Sir Claud Jacob as the Colonel of the Regiment. The magazine was printed by the "Messenger" Co., High Street, Bromsgrove.

The last number of the "Green 'Un" was that of March 1927, and the first issue of "FIRM"— " FIRM " Volume 1, No. 1—is dated November 1927, and was edited by Captain C. F. G. Crawford, a retired officer, who also contributed many pen and ink drawings, usually as illustrations to articles written for "FIRM" by Major Fitzmaurice Stacke.

But due to Captain C. F. G. Crawford work in civilian life he was unable to spare the time for a second number. Thus it was that a whole year passed before the second copy of Firm appeared in November 1928, from which date it became a regular quarterly production under the editorship of one of the officers serving a tour of duty at the Regimental Depot.

From 1928 to the outbreak of war in 1939 the successive editors of "FIRM" were Lieuts. F. W. Allen, R. B. Moss, J. J. Abbott, C. P. G. Wills, the Reverend R. R. Verity, Captain J. J. Abbott, and Lieuts. C. P. Vaughan and A. E. R. Chichester.

Lieut. F. W. Allen

Green 'Un
(Nov. 1922 to Mar. 1927)
To download a copy of the First Edition click here (PDF Format)

Lieut. John Jennings Abbott
Editor in the 1930's
(drawing by Fred May - 1924)

(Apr. 1932 to Jul. 1938)
(front cover designed by
Captain C. F. G. Crawford)

John Abbott was an outstanding Editor who devoted tremendous energy towards improving "FIRM," establishing it on a sound financial footing, and cementing the already-present friendly association with the old Bromsgrove Messenger Company, and with Mr. F. W. Cooper in particular, who printed the "Green 'Un" and "FIRM" continuously for over 40 years—from November 1922, to July 1963—and one of whose printing presses was even surmounted by a Regimental Valise Star!

Up until January 1932 the magazine front cover continued to take on the similar appearance of the "Green 'Un", and the colour was green, this was the last link with the original magazine. In April 1932 a new front cover designed by Captain C. F. H. Crawford was introduced, this was to last for the next 8 years.

When John Abbott left The Depot for foreign service in 1934, the Reverend R. R. Verity, then Vicar of Norton, generously filled the Editorial chair for the next three years until John Abbott's return, now as a Captain, to The Depot and resumption as Editor in 1936.

In the April 1936 edition the editor wrote an article about how the Regimental Magazine is produced.

Lieutenant C. P. Vaughan was Editor in 1938 and 1939, and Lieutenant A. E. R. Chichester for a short time prior to the outbreak of the second World War.

October 1938 saw another change in the design of the from cover which included a broad vertical strip, the colour of which will varied according to quarterly issue as follows: spring number a Green strip, summer number was Maize, autumn number was Maroon and the winter number was Silver. This designed continued till 1941.

Lieut. H. P. E. Pereira edited his first issue in October 1939 (but remained anonymous due to war censorship), before handing over to various temporary war-time editors, amongst whom was R. C. du Vivier.

For the next 4½ years, because of the war, "FIRM" lapsed, and was not again published, with (now Major) H. P. E. Pereira as editor, until November 1945.

In some of the early issues of the magazine it was common to have several pages of poetry with poems sent in by men serving in the Regiment. This practise some what faded away after the Second World War.

The magazine continued to be printed in its original size until April 1947 when a changed was made to the larger Crown 4to format (10 inches by 7½ inches). This change enabled improvements in layout as well as allowing larger pictures to be published.

Pat Pereira continued to be editor until July 1948, when The Depot was reconstituted; Colonel S. W. Jones was appointed Administrative Officer and became Editor of "FIRM" for the longest consecutive period of any individual editor, for 11¼ years, from October 1948, to January 1960.

Lieut.-Colonel C. P. Vaughan took over from Colonel Jones from April 1960, until the present day.

That great Regimental historian, the late Major Fitzmaurice Stacke, was a regular contributor to "FIRM" until his untimely death in 1935.


Two regular contributors of articles to the magazine were "Lobo" and "Porthos," disguises which conceal the names of two officers who, though neither was ever its Editor, have both made many contributions to "FIRM" in every rank (in each case) from Lieutenant to Brigadier—Brigadier D. H. Nott and Brigadier P. H. Graves-Morris.





(Oct. 1938 to May 1941)

(Nov. 1945 to Jan. 1947)

Interestingly, the "Green 'Un" was twice more produced temporarily as a Battalion Newsletter—in 1951 and 1952 in Malaya and in 1969 in Cyprus, in each case by the 1st Battalion.

When reorganisation caused the closing down of the old Bromsgrove Messenger Company in 1963, a long association came to an end.

In January 1964, the printing of the magazine moved to the Reliance Printing Works, Halesowen, who have printed and produced every issue of "FIRM" from that date to the last issue in January 1970.

(Apr. 1947 to Jul. 1960)

(Oct. 1960)

(Jan. 1961 to Jul. 1967)

(Oct. 1967 to Jan. 1970)

The Regimental Magazine continued under the name "FIRM" until 1970 when the Worcestershire Regiment and the Sherwood Foresters Regiment (Notts & Derby) amalgamated, at which point the magazine was renamed "FIRM & FORESTER".

Today the Regimental HQ at Norton Barracks, Worcester maintains an archive of all the old Regimental Magazines and should anyone require information from past issues (photocopy) then this may be provided for an administration fee.