Worcester Cathedral - Regimental Connections

Worcester Cathedral has long links with the Worcestershire Regiment. It was at the cathedral that the men who trained for war went to worship, there the Colours of the Regiment rested during the Regiment's absence on active service, and it was there that those who returned went to offer thanksgiving.

Cathedral History

History and links to the Regiment

Situated on the River Severn opposite the county cricket ground, there has been a cathedral on this site in Worcester since 680 when Bishop Bosel was consecrated as the first bishop in that year.

In the 10th century Bishop Oswald (c925 - 992) built a second abbey and monastery alongside Bishop Bosel's original cathedral.

The Cathedral suffered great devastation during the Great Rebellion 1642-1659. 

The crypt of the present cathedral is all that remains of Saint Wulfstan's new cathedral started in 1084.

Today the Cathedral holds many Memorials to the Worcestershire Regiment. 

Memorial Window

Regimental Memorial Window & Colours

Inside the Cathedral, in the West wall of the North Choir Transept, i.e. in the wall of the Chapel of St. George, looking down on the Altar is the wonderful "Memorial Window, to the Officers, Warrant Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers, and Men of the County and City of Worcester, and of The Worcestershire Regiment, who gave their Lives in the Great War."

The artist of the window was Mr. J. Eadie Reid included at the base of the window the shield with the emblem of The Worcestershire Regiment.

The Window was unveiled on 11th November 1921, by the then Colonel of the Regiment, General Sir George Higginson, G.C.B.

Nominal Roll

Nominal Roll (2nd & 3rd Battalion)

In the Cathedral there is a cabinet which holds the names of all officers, N.C.O.'s and men of the 2nd and 3rd Battalions who embarked for France in August 1914.

Originally the cabinet with the Nominal Roll was positioned against the wall of the Cathedral but has since been moved to its current position as seen in the photo opposite.

A large number of the men on the 2nd Battalion Roll (about 60% of the total named) were also present at the famous battle of Gheluvelt on the 31st October 1914.

This section inclused further images and close-ups of the named panels.

St. George's Chapel

St. George's Memorial Chapel

On Armistice Sunday in 1936 the north choir transept was transformed into a chapel restoring this part of the Cathedral to its original purpose. 

The Chapel was named St. George's Chapel and was dedicated to the County of Worcestershire forming part of the County's War Memorial.

The Chapel was restored and furnished. The War Memorial Window, Memorial Tablets and Colours of the Worcestershire Regiment were moved here from the north aisle of the cathedral. However, the Regiments memorial of the Sikh War and the Boer War still remain in their original positions.

Today the chapel is the resting place for the Colours of the different Battalions of the Worcestershire Regiment.

War Memorial

Worcestershire Regiment War Memorial

On the 15th April 1950 the Colonel of the Regiment, Brigadier B. C. S. Clarke unveiled in the Chapel of St. George, a lasting memory to all those soldiers of The Worcestershire Regiment who made the supreme sacrifice whilst fighting for our beloved Country and the freedom of mankind during the two Great World Wars of 1914-1918 and 1939-1945.

During these two Great Wars the total losses suffered by the Worcestershire Regiment, killed or died of wounds received in action amounted to 579 Officers and 10,308 Other Ranks. Those are the men in memory of whom this Memorial has been erected.

Among the messages received that day was the following from the Private Secretary to His Majesty the King, to whom a telegram of loyal greetings had been despatched earlier in the day:
"Please convey to all ranks of the Worcestershire Regiment assembled at their annual reunion the sincere thanks of the King for their message of loyal greetings."

Official Farewell

Official Farewell of the Regiment

On the 6th December 1969, during the official farewell by the City of Worcester to The Worcestershire Regiment, a service was held at Worcester Cathedral and attended by some 1400 past and present members of the Regiment, family and friends.

This marked the full Ceremonial Parade of The Regiment prior to the amalgamation on the 28th February 1970 with the Sherwood Forester Regiment. During the service the Colours of the Regiment were marched up the aisle to the nave alter and handed to the Dean, Dr. Eric Kemp, who laid them on the alter where they remained for the service.

Regiment Memorials

Worcestershire Regiment Memorials

There are a number of wall plaque memorials relating to the different Battalions of the Worcestershire Regiment and different conflicts.

These memorials were erected in the Cathedral by the comrades of those men who had given their lives in battle.

In addition you will also find a number of stained glass windows which are dedicated to Worcestershire Regiment officers who lost their lives in the Great War of 1914-18.