1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment (1933)


After the Christmas break the Battalion moved back to Crownhill Barracks near plymouth on the 16th January 1933, and the next day was inspected by Major-General W. W. Pitt-Taylor, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O. (Commander of the 3rd Division).

The year started with Lieut. J. H. A. Dean now been posted to the Depot and Captain O. C. Guinness, 2/Lieut. A. H. Nott and 2/Lieut. C. Tyrwhitt all been posted to the 2nd Battalion.

2/Lieut. J. A. Gibbons (posted to 'C' Coy) and 2/Lieut. A. E. R. Chichester (posted to 'B' Coy), joined from R.M.C. Sandhurst, were attached to the Battalion until they received a perminent posting.

On the 17th January the second draft of men sailed from Southampton to Malta, to join the 2nd Battalion, which included Captain O. C. Guinness, O.B.E., and 2/Lieut. A. H. Nott.

1st Bn. Worcestershire Regt - The "Neuve Chapelle" Ball 1933
1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment - The "Neuve Chapelle" Ball (10th March 1933)

On the 10th March the "Neuve Chapelle" Ball was held in the Gymnasium and Brigadier C. G. Liddell, C.M.G, C.B.E., D.S.O., and his wife attended. Five members of the Battalion who were present at Neuve Chapelle spoke about their experiences (Major E. L. G. Lawrence, D.S.O., M.C., Capt. M. A. Hamilton-Cox, RQMS E. Rowley, CQMS B. Wilkins and Sgt. G. Garwood, M. M.).

Neuve Chapelle survivors

1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment survivors of the Battle of Neuve Chapelle
Major E. L. G. Lawrence, D.S.O., M.C., Sgt. G. Garwood, M. M., RQMS E. Rowley, CQMS B. Wilkins and , Capt. M. A. Hamilton-Cox

The 17th anniversary of the Battle of Neuve Chapelle was celebrated by a Battalion parade. The Regimental Colours were carried by Lieut. Klee, and Lieut.-Col. J. F. Leman, D.S.O. took the salute. The remainder of the day was given as a holiday. Both the Sergeants and Corporals' Messes commemorated the battle by giving Dances some days later.

1st Worcestershire Regt. Parade 1933
1st Bn. Worcestershire Regt. - 17th anniversary of the Battle of Neuve Chapelle parade - Lieut.-Col. Leman takes the salute (March 1933)


Daily Platoon and Company Training at Roborough, this involved marching out daily from the barracks, continued through February, March and April.

Part of June and July was spent at Tregantle doing the Annual Musketry followed by Battalion training at Roborough.

On the 17th June the Battalion moved to Tregantle for the Rifle Companies to fire the Annual Weapon Training Course. The Rifle Meeting was held on the 13th and 14th July. The Battalion returned to Crownhill Barracks on the 15th July.

The Battalion moved to Warminster Camp on Sunday 27th August 1933 and the first week was spent by the majority in taking part in the Southern Command Weapon Training Meeting.

On the 24th September the Battalion returned back to Crownhill Barracks.

The Annual Inspection by Brigadier C. G. Liddell took place on the 17th October. Field Marshal Sir Claud Jacob, G.C.B., G.C.S.I., K.C.M.G., visited the Battalion on the 30th October and inspected the Battalion the following day in honour of the Battle of Gheluvelt.


1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment - 'C' Company winners of the Inter-Company Cricket Shield (1933)

Back row: CQMS H. Coniam, Pte. Cooper, Pte. Watts, Pte. Haden, L/Cpl. Sanger.
Front row seated: Pte. Bayliss, Pte. Witton, CSM A.Yeates, Major E. L. G. Lawrence, Cpl. W. Shaw, L/Sgt. Mills, Cpl. S. Dyke.

In November Major E. C. R. Hudson retired on hald-pay and Major S. A. Gabb, O.B.E., M.C., took over as second-in-command of the Battalion.

1st Worcestershire Regt. Bayonet Fencing Team (1933)

1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment - Bayonet Fencing Team (1933)
Back row standing: Cpl. H. Hayward, L/Cpl. Staite, Pte. Williams, L/Cpl. Cooper, L/Cpl. Hammersley, Pte. Hobbs, Pte. Maher.
Front row seated: Pte. Brown, Sgt. A. Wright, CSM C. Shrimpton, Major J. H. Pelly, Sgt. M. Fitzgerald, L/Sgt. G. Weston, L/Cpl. Round.


1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment - Physical Training Class (1933)

1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment - Physical Training Class (1933)