Lieut.-Colonel W. S. Brindle
Besides that ever-changing personnel, the work of the Reserve Battalion was carried out by a small nucleus of their permanent staff, reinforced by certain older officers and N.C.O’s., who could not be passed fit for service in the field. That permanent staff continued, year after year, the thankless task of training the newly-appointed subalterns and the raw recruits who came to learn the rudiments of soldiering at their hands; and to them the Regiment owes a great debt.
In the winter of 1917 a partial redistribution of the forces at home was carried out, and the 5th Battalion of the Regiment were moved from Plymouth to the East Coast. There the Battalion settled down to duty in the Harwich defences, and was stationed at Manningtree and Mistley. In the following year, a reduction in strength followed the despatch of troops to France, and the 6th Battalion was temporarily amalgamated with the 5th Battalion and was commanded of Lieut.-Colonel B. R. Roche.
The 5th (Reserve) Battalion (still under the temporary command of Lieut.-Colonel B. R. Roche) moved to Dublin on the 12th - 13th April, 1919 and took over quarters in Portobello Barracks. There the 5th (Reserve) Battalion had absorbed the 1st Garrison Battalion of the Regiment and had swollen thereby to a strength of nearly 2,300 of all ranks including 70 Officers.
The cadre of the 5th Battalion returned to England and the Colours were laid up in Norton Barracks, and the representatives of the old Militia were demobilised. On Monday 9th July 1919, the day following the Victory March at Worcester, the Colours of the 5th Battalion, which had been laid up during the war, were handed over at Worcester Cathedral by Canon Lacey to a Colour Party sent from Dublin consisting of Captain Bishop, Lieut. G . B. Harrison, C.S.M. Charlwood, Privates Bowater and Alderthay. The same escort brought the Colours back to the Depot a fortnight later.