3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment - 1900 to 1913

The new 3rd Battalion was raised in Aldershot on the 14th February 1900. Initially the battalion was quartered at Blenheim Barracks, North Camp, Aldershot, together with the 4th Battalion.

In the Spring of 1902 the 3rd Battalion had moved from Aldershot to Tipperary. Commanded by Lieut-Col. M. V. Hilton, with Capt. J. M. Reddie as Adjutant, and Lieut. A. Whitty as Quartermaster. Early in May 1903 the Battalion was presented with its first Colours at Tipperary by the Duke of Connaught, then C. in C. in Ireland.

The actions of the South African War, fought mostly at long ranges in open country, had emphasised the necessity for good shooting. The wave of military reform which followed the reverses in South Africa had placed a premium on marksmanship, and the 3rd Battalion Worcestershire were fortunate in comprising many expert shots. Already, thanks to the energy and enthusiasm of Lieut.-Colonel M. V. Hilton and Major E. A. D’Arcy Thomas the new Battalion had acquired a high reputation and had laid the foundations of a remarkable proficiency in musketry.

Tipperary Barracks, Ireland

H.R.H. Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught

Major D’Arcy Thomas, the first second-in-command and later the second Commanding Officer of the new Battalion, had previously been a celebrated Adjutant of the 1st Battalion, holding that appointment continuously for six years and gaining a great reputation. The efficiency and subsequent success of the 3rd Battalion were due in no small measure to his outstanding personality.

In 1902 “H” Company won the inter-regimental Company Match. In the following year the Battalion carried off the Queen Victoria Cup, the ‘blue ribbon’ of rifle shooting, and also the Whitehead Cup — successes in which a great part was played by the skill of Lieutenant and Quartermaster A. Whitty. The same standard was maintained by the winning of the Queen Victoria Cup again in 1904.

In the winter of 1904/1905 the 3rd Battalion Worcestershire returned to Aldershot. There they should have replaced another battalion, ordered to Jersey. For political reasons the latter move was cancelled, and consequently there were no barracks available for the young Battalion. As a result the companies were split up and were quartered with various other regiments in the Wellington Lines; but even that disadvantage did not greatly affect the efficiency of the Battalion. For the third year in succession the 3rd Battalion Worcestershire won the Queen Victoria Cup, together with other shooting trophies. Eventually other units moved off, and the Battalion was then quartered in Mandora Barracks, Aldershot.

In 1906/7 the Battalion, then commanded by Lieut.-Colonel D’Arcy Thomas, had been greatly distinguished in the Evelyn Wood competition (marching and shooting) not only finding the winning company but also having all the eight companies of the Battalion placed among the first sixteen of the whole Aldershot Command.

3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment Officers (1905)

Back standing L to R: 2nd Lieut. J. M. Bathe, 2nd Lieut. H. I. E. Ripley, Capt. D. C. H. Chisholm, Lieut. D. M. A. Sole, Lieut. J. F. Badham,
2nd Lieut. R. F. Traill, 2nd Lieut. A. C. Johnston, 2nd Lieut. G. J. L. Stoney, 2nd Lieut. J. T. Goff, Lieut. C. C. Messervy, Lieut. (Q.M.) A. Whitty,
Lieut. C. V. Beresford, Lieut. T. H. Hughes
Front seated L to R: Capt. C. T. F. Dillon, Capt. E. B. Hankey, Capt. (Adjutant) A. S. Nesbitt, Maj. C. B. Westmacott, Maj. W. R. Chichester,
Capt. W. R. Walsh, Capt. R. A. de. B. Rose, Lieut.-Col. E. A. D'Arcy Thomas, Capt. J. F. S. Winnington


In 1907 threatened trouble with native tribes in South Africa had called for an increase in the British forces; and the 3rd Battalion Worcestershire, then acknowledged to be the best-shooting battalion in Great Britain, were selected to proceed as reinforcements. Leaving Aldershot in November the Battalion (temporarily under the Second-in-Command, Major W. R. Chichester. Lieut.-Col. G. T. Peacocke took over command later, at Wynberg) embarked at Southampton and three weeks later landed at Capetown. But the threatened danger did not materialise, and after an uneventful year at Wynberg the 3rd Worcestershire returned to England. The move had not affected their prowess in musketry, and they were still conspicuous for good shooting during the years which followed. Winning in 1909 the Whitehead Cup; in 1913 the Queen Victoria Cup (for the third time) and in 1914 the Robert’s Cup, and the Queen Victoria Cup once more, for the fourth time. After two years at Dover, the Battalion moved to Tidworth in 1911. In 1912 the command passed to Lieut.-Colonel. B. F. B. Stuart. The Battalion took their place in the 7th Brigade as part of the 3rd Division.




3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment
winners of the Bowyers Match at Aldershot Command Rifle Meeting 1907
Standing L to R: Lieut. A. Whitty, L/Cpl. Palmer, Cpl. Hart, Cpl. Jewsbury
Seated L to R: Sgt. Partridge, QMS Stone, Sgt. Payton, Sgt. Bills