The 7th (Territorial) Battalions of the Regiment was at their annual summer camp at Minehead when war was declared in 1914. They returned to Worcester by train early next day and, after four days of busy preparations, the Battalion entrained on the 8th August 1914 for their War Stations.
The existing arrangements for the defence of the country included the concentration of the greater part of the Territorial forces in the Eastern Counties to guard against invasion from over the North Sea; and the 7th Worcestershire, then commanded by Lieut.-Colonel J. W. Garratt (succeeded subsequently by Lieut.-Col. A. R. Harman), moved eastwards by stages to join the army which was gathering in Suffolk and Essex to defend the heart of England.
The Battalion moved first to Swindon and thence eastwards by way of Stony Stratford and Brentford to Danbury in Essex. After a month at Danbury the Battalion shifted quarters (on 19th September 1914) to Maldon and remained there in billets throughout the winter.
During that move eastwards the Territorial soldiers were invited to volunteer for service overseas (actually on August 11th while at Swindon), and nearly all of the Battalion gladly accepted. The spirit of patriotism was running very high; and the Battalion was soon filled to overflowing with eager recruits, mixed with a sprinkling of old hands who had completed their Territorial engagements but who had hastened to rejoin the Colours.