1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment (1932)

The Battalion returned from Christmas leave on the 4th January 1932, and the next three months were spent in Crownhill Barracks.

On Sunday, 24th January, the morning service in the Garrison Church was suddenly stopped when the first news of the Prison mutiny at Princetown Jail reached the Battalion. A composite company from the Battalion mainly of "C" Company, made up to a total strength of 160 other ranks from "A", "B" and "D" (M.G.) Companies, were ordered to get ready immediately to proceed to Princetown by bus, some 14 miles from Crownhill Barracks. Just as the leading platoon was about to embus, a message was received that the police had the situation in hand and the order was cancelled. However, the following afternoon a detachment, under the command of Major E. L. G. Lawrence, D.S.O., M.C., was actually sent out as a precautionary measure, and this included 2nd-Lieut. C. P. Vaughan and 28 other ranks of "C" Company.

Crownhill Barracks

Crownhill Barracks

The detachment left the barracks by bus at 3.0 p.m., and remained at Princetown throughout the night, returning by bus at 7.0 a.m. the following morning, after a cold night on Dartmoor. The object of this detachment was purely precautionary, and nothing of any importance took place, in spite of the fact that the numerous newspaper reporters who were also present confidently predicted that there was going to be pitched battle for their benefit.

On the 2nd February, Major-General H. H. S. Knox, C.B., D.S.O., G.O.C. 3rd Division, visited the Battalion.

Princetown Prison entrance (1932)

Princetown Prison entrance (1932)

The recent Sino-Japanese conflict near Shanghai (was a short war between the armies of the Republic of China and the Empire of Japan between 28th January to 3rd March 1932), where the Battalion was stationed up to just over a year ago, was followed with great interest, as most of the places mentioned in the newspaper reports at the time were familiar to the Battalion. Though the Settlement was not actually attacked, the two Infantry Battalions stationed there, reinforced by two more battalions and a battery of artillery, were engaged in holding the Settlement boundary, aided by the efficient Shanghai Volunteer Corps and American and French troops.

Lieut. A. T. Burlton rejoined the Battalion in February, on returning from India, and 2/Lieut. C. Tyrwhitt, 2/Lieut. C. J. Myburgh, and 2/Lieut. A. H. Nott joined on February 29th on first appointment from the R.M.C. Sandhurst.

On the 11th March 1932, the anniversary of the Battle of Neuve Chapelle, was commemorated by a Battalion Parade. Major E. C. R. Hudson was in command and took the Salute, and the Colours were carried by Lieut. B. G. M. Klee and Lieut. J. N. C. Chichester.

On Sunday 13th March, a strong contingent of the Plymouth Branch of the Regimental Old Comrades' Association attended Church Parade and the service in the Garrison Church, Crownhill. Thirty-eight Old Comrades fell in on parade with the Battalion, and marched to and from Church as No. 1 Company, under command of ex-Lieutenant J. H. Teague, M.C.

On the 8th April Brigadier C. G. Liddell, C.M.G., O.B.E., D.S.O., carried out the annual inspection of the Battalion at Crownhill barracks.

During the period 7th to 9th April the Battalion proceeded to make their way to Tregantle Fort for four weeks to shoot at the Annual Weapon Training Cours, returning to Barracks on completion. The Battalion Rifle Meeting held on the 28th and 29th April brought the Battalions stay at Tregantle Fort to a close.

On the 5th May, 'D' (M.G.) Company departed for Netheravon.

On the 7th May the remainding Rifle Companies of the Battalion returned to Crownhill Barracks. Where they started a programme of Platoon Training the following week, this entailed moving to Roborough where they would camp for eight days at a time before retuning back to the comfort of Crownhill Barracks.

Tregantle Fort (1932)

Tregantle Fort (1932)

On the 24th, 25th, 26th, and 27th May, 1932, The Western United Services Small Arms Meeting, was held at Trevol Range. The weather conditions were ideal and conducive to good shooting results. Lieut. M. E. Newman won the Rifle Championship Challenge Cup; Lieut. A. H. Gillmore obtained the top score of Class 'B' Competitors; and L/Cpl. L. J. Corbett and Pte. Tyrrell were placed second and third respectively in Class 'C'.


1st Worctershire Regt. Officers 1932
1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment Officers (1932)

Back Row: Lieut. L. R. Cooper, Lieut. J. N. C. Chichester, Lieut. J. W. Deacon, 2nd-Lieut. C. J. Myburgh, Lieut. and Quartermaster M. E. Newman,
Lieut. A. W. Buchanan. Lieut. B. G. M. Klee.
Middle Row: Captain J. T. Milner, Lieut. J. B. A. Bickford, Lieut. E. R. S. Challinor, Lieut. J. H. A. Dean, Lieut. A. H. Gillmore, 2nd-Lieut. C. Tyrwhitt,
Lieut. S. W. A. Love, 2nd-Lieut. A. H. Nott.
Front Sitting: Captain L. R. Tilling, Capt. M. A. Hamilton-Cox, Capt. D. Chesney, O.B.E., Major E. C. R. Hudson, Lieut.-Col. J. F. Leman, D.S.O.,
Capt. F. Rodman (Adjutant), Major E. L. G. Lawrence, D.S.O., M.C., Capt. P. W. Hargreaves, M.C., Capt. G. B. de Courcy-Ireland, M.V.O., M.C.


The Glorious First of June was commemorated by a Ceremonial Parade in the morning, and in the afternoon the Sports were held. At the Parade the Salute was taken our by Brigade Commander, Brigadier Clive Gerard Liddell, C.M.G., C.B.E., D.S.O., in the absence of Field-Marshal Sir Claud Jacob, who was unfortunately prevented from visiting us by a death in his family. The Colours were carried by Lieut. J. N. C. Chichester and Lieut. J. B. A. Bickford.

The finals of the Athletic Sports were held in the afternoon and the men of 'C' Company were the winners of the Inter-Company Athletic Shield.

1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment - 'C' Company Athletic Team - Inter-Company Athletic Shield winners (1932)

Back Row: Pte. Barrow, Pte. Griffiths, L/Cpl. T. Price, Pte. Eady
Front Row: L/Cpl. Hartill, Cpl. W. Shaw, 2/Lieut. C. Tyrwhitt, Major E. L. G. Lawrence, D.S.O., M.C., Sgt. A. Yeates, Cpl. J. Pugh, Cpl. G. Mills.

In the evening, Vice-Admiral Sir Hubert Brand, Commander-in-Chief, Plymouth, Brigadier R. D. Ormsby, Royal Marines, Brigadier C. G. Liddell, Commodore Pipon, and Lieut.-Commander Baker, were guests at dinner in the Officers' Mess, and the Warrant Officers, Staff Sergeants, and Sergeants gave a most successful Whist Drive and Dance in their mess, which the officers and their guests attended.

On the 13th June the Battalion marched, 19 miles, from Crownhill Barracks to Willsworthy for Company and Battalion Training. They remained there under canvas until the 16th July when they returned to Crownhill Barracks for a few weeks in barracks before Brigade Training.

The Central Meeting of the Army Rifle Association was held at Bisley from the 27th June to the 2nd July 1932 inclusive. The Meeting opened in brilliant sunshine, but for the last two days of the event the weather was inclement. The Battalion was represented by the following:— Lieuts. B. G. M. Klee, Lieut. S. W. A. Love, Lieut. A. W. Buchanan, Lieut. A. H. Gillmore, and Lieut. M. E. Newman, C.S.M. Shrimpton, Sgt. Wright, Sgt. Smith, Cpl. Jones, L.-Cpl. Pawley, L.-Cpl. Corbett, L.-Cpl. Tyrrell, Ptes. Martin, O'Grady, and Bingham.

Brigadier Clive Gerard Liddell

Brigadier Clive Gerard Liddell

1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment - Bisley Team 1932

Back Row: Sgt. Inst. Muskertry F. Smith (Army "100"), Sgt. A. Wright (Army "100" & King's Medal "50"), L/Cpl. J. Pawley, Pte. A. S. Martin,
Cpl. G. J. Jones, L/Cpl. L. J. Corbett, CSM C. E. Shrimpton.
Middle Row: Lieut. & QM W. Corcoran, Lieut. & QM M. E. Newman, Lieut. S. W. A. Love, Lieut. B. G. M. Klee, Lieut. A. W. Buchanan, Lieut. A. H. Gillmore.
Front Row: Pte. J. S. O'Grady, Pte. L. V. H. Bingham, L/Cpl. C. J. Tyrrell.


The next event of note was the Battalion Novices' Sports Meetings held at Bowden, on the 20th and 21st August.

On the 26th August the Battalion marched out in full sun "definitely too hot for Hiking" to Brigade training at Willsworthy. During the next fortnight it rained almost incessantly the whole time the Battalion was at Willsworthy.

A successful Rifle Shooting year culminated in the Southern Command Weapon Training Meeting at Bulford on August 30th and 31st. The Battalion performed well in the competition, and particularly C.S.M. C. E. Shrimpton on his double event in the Individual Revolver Competition; Cpl. G. J. Jones heading Class 'C' in the Individual Rifle Championship; C.S.M. C. E. Shrimpton, Sgt. A. Wright, Sgt. Inst. Muskertry F. Smith, and Sgt. F. Halford winning the W.O.'s and Sgt.'s Team Rifle Competition; and Privates; Martin, Hobbs, Bingham, and O'Grady winning Class 'D' of the Inter-Ranks Knock-Out Competition.

Under Lieutenant R. E. L. Tuckey weapon training maintained a very high standard. And the Battalions Revolver team were the winners of the Duke of Connaught Cup (Revolver) was captured with a score of 278 and the Battalion was well up in the Victoria Trophy. It is of interest to note that in the same year the 2nd Battalion were busy winning the Victoria Trophy (abroad) in Malta. In the Individual Revolver Cup the Battalion took 2nd, 3rd, and 4th places.

1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment - Revolver Team (1932) winners of the Duke of Connaught Cup
Back standing L to R: L/Sgt. G. Bowdler, Sgt. A. Wright, L/Sgt. G. J. Jones
Front seated L to R: Lieut. R. E. L. Tuckey, Lieut. B. G. M. Klee (Team Capt.), Lieut. & Q.M. M. E. Newman, CSM C. E. Shrimpton

On the 8th September the Camp was visited by General Sir Cecil F. Romer, K.C.B., K.B.E., C.M.G., G.O.C.-in-C. Southern Command, and our Divisional Commander, Lieut.-General H. H. S. Knox, C.B., D.S.O., who was shortly due to give up command of the Division, on promotion. His place to be taken by Major-General W. W. Pitt-Taylor, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., late Director of Recruiting and Organisation at the War Office, who commanded the 7th Infantry Brigade at Dehra Dun when the Battalion was stationed at Meerut.

Due to the very unpleasant weather conditions at Willsworthy the camp was reduced to a sea of mud, the Brigade training programme had to be cancelled a day earlier than expected and the Battalion marched back to barracks at Crownhill on the 9th September.

On the 12th September 1932 some men of 'C' Company were detailed for the first draft of men for the 2nd Battalion in Malta and proceeded on a one months embarkation furlough. The men were addressed by Lieut.-Col. J. F. Leman prior to their departure.

Lieut.-Col. J. F. Leman, D.S.O. addressing the Malta draft prior to their departure

On the 26th September the Captain of H.M.S. Iron Duke very kindly invited a party of officers and men from the Battalion to look over his ship. The visit was thoroughly enjoyed by all who went. Much interest was taken in the way in which the other Service lived and also in the working of the 13.5 inch guns in the turrets.

A few days later several officers went for a short cruise on the Iron Duke, and witnessed her speed and anti-aircraft gunnery trials off the Cornish coast, which were extremely interesting.

The Brigadier's annual inspection of the Battalion took place on 30th September.

On 11th October the W.T. (Weapons Training) casuals party, accompanied by 2nd.-Lieut. Vaughan, left for Tregantle Fort, where they were paid a visit by Field-Marshal Sir Claud Jacob, G.C.B., G.C.S.I.. K.C.M.G.. on 12th October when he gave a short address to Officers and N.C.O.s.

On the 29thOctober, several officers and N.C.O.'s of the Battalion attended the annual Reunion at the Shirehall, Worcester, and also a very enjoyable dance given by the Sergeants' Mess of the Depot, on the previous evening.

On the 24th November, several representatives from the Battalion attended the ceremony of the launching of H.M.S. Orion, at Devonport Docks.