During August and September 1940 ‘D’ Company of the battalion were involved in guarding a camp of French sailors at Trentham Park, outside Stoke.
It was not until 9th October 1940 that the Battalion was designated 12th Battalion The Worcestershire Regiment, and became a Rifle Battalion.
From Burton a move was made to Dudley on 15th October 1940, yet another transfer to Llanelly taking place on 25th February, 1941. The three months at Dudley passed quickly, for the hospitality of the town to a battalion of their county regiment was phenomenal. At this time the raids on the Midlands were increasing and the men were constantly busy in Birmingham clearing the debris.
At Llanelly the Battalion’s chief concern was the defence of the beaches, the old machine gunners coming into their own with an issue to beach companies of the Vickers machine gun. The Battalion was scattered over a wide area, with 'C' Company on Pembrey beach near a large R.A.F. fighter station, 'D' Company at Ashburnham beaches, and the other two companies in the town, the whole area stretching a length of about fifteen miles.
On 4th June 1941 the Battalion sailed from Greenock for Iceland. On 8th June the Battalion disembarked at Reykjavik, the capital of the island, and by 13th June it was encamped in Reykjaskoli, with H.Q. and two companies billeted in the school and in tents, the remaining two companies being scattered, 'D' Company at Blonduös and 'B' Company at Borganes, a hundred miles separating the two. The school was most fortunately found to be heated very effectively by water from hot springs from the mountainside near by. At the time 49th West Riding Division (Territorials) held Iceland, and the protection of the north-west sector, an area one hundred miles in length, fell to the Battalion, which had a battery under command.
The stretch of sea on which Blonduös is situated is called the “Hunafloi,” “Huna” being the Icelandic for “Bear.” A bear was known once to have floated ashore at Blonduös.
The Iceland landscape is not exciting. There are no trees and very few bushes or flowers: and although the 49th Division took the polar bear on their badge, no polar bears were ever seen on the island! Occasional E.N.S.A. parties and the 16 mm. films of the Army cinema organization were welcome high-lights in long periods of monotony.
Away from Headquarters, 'D' Company at Blonduös perhaps enjoyed a slightly more varied programme than their companions, 'B' Company at Borganes.
Blonduös was the staging camp between Reykjavik and Akureyri, the latter being the only port in the north of the island. At Company Headquarters a visitors’ book recorded the passage of travellers and registered about a hundred signatures in three months.