Lieut.-Colonel Tudor FITZJOHN, D.S.O.

Commanded the 4th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment from September 1918 to February 1919.

Lieut.-Colonel Tudor Fitzjohn was born at Spilsby, Lincolnshire on 9th July 1875. He was commissioned in to the 4th Battalion King's (Shropshire Light Infantry) 8th November 1899.

As a Second Lieutenant he transferred from the 4th Battalion King's (Shropshire Light Infantry) to the Worcestershire Regiment on the 21st April 1900 and appointed Adjutant of a battalion on the 8th December 1900.

On the 16th February 1901 he was seconded for service with the Mounted Infantry in South Africa.

He was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant on the 28th April 1904 and made the rank of Captain on the 25th August 1906.

As a Captain he went with the 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment to France in November 1914. He was wounded at the Battle of Neuve Chappelle on the 12th March 1915.

He was promoted to Major in September 1915. Awarded the D.S.O. in 1916 (France) when he was attached to the 4th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment.

From 20th December 1915, as Temporary Lieut.-Colonel, he commanded a battalion of the the Kings Own (Royal Lancashire Regiment).

As Temporary Lieut.-Colonel, on the 13th November 1917 he commanded the Training Reserve (Service Battalion) of the Royal Lancashire Regiment until the 14th December 1917.

Lieut.-Col. T. Fitzjohn

On the 24th April 1918 he commanded the 8th battalion of the Lancashire Fusiliers, as Acting Lieut.-Colonel until 31st July 1918, when the battalion was disbanded.

He took over command of the 4th Battalion, from Major (then) B. C. S. Clarke, on 25th August 1918 and was promoted to Lieut.- Colonel on 31st May 1919. He continued to command the 4th Battalion until the 23rd February 1919.

In October 1918 he was awarded a bar to his D.S.O. for his gallantry at the battle for the recapture of Gheluvelt. His citation read:
"He displayed great dash and initiative during the period September 28th to October 3rd, 1918. In the operation which led to the capture of Gheluvelt and Kruiseecke. It was due to his quickness that the important high ground was captured before the enemy had time to reorganised his defences. He displayed great gallantry and devotion to duty throughout the whole operation."

He retired from the Army on the 5th July 1922. He later went to live in Greystones, County Wicklow, Eire.

Lieut.-Colonel Tudor Fitzjohn died in 1962 at the age of 87.