Colonel Hargreaves was commissioned to The Worcestershire Regiment from R.M.C. Sandhurst 17th March, 1915, and joined the 5th (Special Reserve) Battalion at Fort Tregantle, Cornwall.
He joined the 3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment with the B.E.F. at Ypres in August, 1915, and served with them until being evacuated sick in May, 1916. In February, 1917, he rejoined the Battalion and was appointed Adjutant in June, 1917, and after the war returned with the cadre of the Battalion in March, 1919. He was awarded the M.C. on the Somme in 1918 and twice mentioned in despatches.
He moved with the Battalion to Dublin in November 1919, and returned to the U.K. in January, 1920, only to move again with the Battalion to India the following month. He was promoted Captain in March, 1921, and relinquished the appointment of Adjutant in May that year.
In July 1922, he married Joan Coward, daughter of the late Mr. H. E. Holford and Mrs. Holford, of Broxbourne, Herts.
On the disbandment of the 3rd Battalion he was posted to the 1st Battalion in India and served with them until posted to The Depot for a tour of duty from November 1926, until returning to the 1st Battalion at Allahabad in January 1929. He moved to Shanghai with the Battalion in November 1929, and from there returned with the Battalion to Plymouth in 1931, when he took over command of the Machine Gun Company. From 1933 to 1934 he was B.M.G.O. and Garrison Adjutant, Plymouth.
Lieut.-Col. P. W. Hargreaves
(known as "Pip")