Lieut.-Colonel Hugh St. John Jefferies was educated at Harrow School and then joined The Worcestershire Regiment with whom he served in the Boer War. He was wounded in South Africa and later became seriously ill, returning to England to convalesce before rejoining The Regiment.
In 1903 he served with the 4th Battalion The Worcestershire Regiment in Bermuda, in 1907 in India, and in 1914, on the outbreak of the war, he went with The Regiment to France. He was wounded and returned to England, where he served for some time as an instructor at the Royal Military College, Sandhurst.
Towards the end of the First World War, he returned to France to take command of the West Yorkshire Regiment and while serving with them was awarded the D.S.O. Shortly after the 1914-18 war he commanded The Regimental Depot.
He retired in 1930 with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel. During the second World War he served for a time as Welfare Officer with the Home Guard. He returned to his home in Wexford in 1943.
His only son, Lieutenant Hugh Acton Jefferies, was killed while serving with the Royal Irish Fusiliers in 1940.
Lieutenant-Colonel Hugh St. John Jefferies, died at Rosevale, Wexford, Eire on the 10th June 1962, aged 82.
Lieut.-Colonel H. St. J. Jefferies